–Provincial news that impacts people our community
Thousands of people and families on assistance will benefit from increased earnings exemptions announced in the September Budget Update.
Beginning Oct. 1, 2017, people on income assistance will be able to earn an additional $200 a month without any impact on their payment. For those on disability assistance, the annual earnings exemption will increase by $2,400 a year.
For those on disability assistance the change will apply to the current year. If someone has already reached the current maximum, they will be reassessed under the new exemption amount.
At least 5,800 people on income assistance and 3,000 people on disability assistance will benefit from the increased earnings exemptions over the year.
The increase to earnings exemptions follows a $100 increase to income and disability assistance rates that also takes effect on Oct. 1, 2017.
Earnings exemptions amounts
Effective Oct. 1, 2017, earnings exemptions will increase:
- by $2,400 annually for people on disability assistance
- by $200 per month for people on income assistance.
New earnings exemptions amounts
For people on disability assistance:
- $12,000 for a single person
- $14,400 for a couple where one is a person with a disability
- $24,000 for a couple where both are persons with disabilities
For people on income assistance:
- $400 for a single person
- $600 for a family with children
- $700 a family with a child with a disability
- $700 for a family unit with a person who has persistent multiple barriers to employment
Annual earnings exemptions retroactive to Jan. 1, 2017
- As the annual earnings exemption is for a calendar year, the increase will apply to the current year, back to Jan. 1, 2017.
- Anyone who has exceeded the current exemption for this year ($9,600 for a single person) will be entitled to the higher limit.
- Staff at the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction will be contacting those individuals by the end of November to adjust their assistance payments accordingly.
Since you’re here, we have a small favour to ask.
At 1.7 million page views over the past year, more people than ever are reading SPN. We had hoped advertising local services and events would sustain this service, but that has not come to pass. Advertising revenues are falling; status quo is unsustainable. Readers, please consider a small monthly donatin. This can help secure the future of SPN. Business owners: Please consider an ad. More than massive local exposure, you will also be affiliated with an independent business that is 100% local, 99% paperless, and highly valued by the 98%. That’s priceless.
Thank you for your continued readership.
Or, you set the amount, one-time contribution.
Alternatively, click here to make a $10 donation using SPN PayPal.me. (You can change the donation amount on the landing page by clicking on the dollar amount.)