The following comes from the Facebook page of the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue – Station 37
Nov.15, 2015 – MAYDAY – 9 people in the water off Race Rocks.
At approximately 2pm RCM-SAR Sooke Station and RCM-SAR Victoria Station were jointly tasked to a vessel overturned off Race Rocks with 9 people in the water. Seas were large at the time with some waves between 6 and 7 feet which made it challenging.
Both vessels arrived on-scene about the same time and both stations assisted in extracting all the people safely from the overturned boat, which had 5 persons on top of the hull and 4 in the water.
Fantastic work and coordination by both Stations.
Big thanks to Springtide Whale Watching vessel for standing by and assisting and a personal fishing craft, unknown vessel and captain for standing by as well.
For more photos, visit the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue – Station 37
Other Search and Rescue stories on Sooke PocketNews
- Sooke’s water rescue team tends to grounded vessel Dec 3
- Late morning call-out on Friday for Sooke’s marine Search and Rescue
- Sooke marine rescue tasked to Port Renfrew to assist, Monday afternoon
- Sooke marine rescue called out to assist three in a boat stuck in thick Bull Kelp, East Sooke
- Sooke’s marine rescue recognized with an award
- Sooke marine rescue tends to early morning head injury
- Sooke responds to Mayday off Possession Point on Friday evening
- Marine rescue tend to head injury near Sheringham Lighthouse
- Vessels of opportunity work with Sooke’s marine search and rescue to assist adrift vessel
- Contemplating search and rescue on Sooke waters? (Video)
- Concerned citizen triggers Search and Rescue callout for paddle boarders
- SAR Station 37 called to escort Tribal Journey First Nations canoe into Sooke
- Mayday call sees six rescued from a sinking vessel
- Three lives saved in a Sooke Basin Mayday call
- Sooke’s Search and Rescue Station 37 secures District funding
- Sooke’s marine search and rescue hit the water for two call-outs on Victoria Day
- This rigorous marine rescue training can take your breath away
- Sooke Search and Rescue help a vessel in distress against the rocks
- Cold water survival training RCMSAR Station #37 (Sooke), plus more
- RCMSAR Station 37 (Sooke) respond immediately to Mayday: Vessel taking on water
- Sooke Community Grants: Legion gets $10,000, and Council remains within their $50,000 budget
- Search and Rescue Station 37: Recent call out, and open house invitation
- Sooke, Victoria SAR stations awarded for their role in the 2015 Race Rocks rescue
- Sooke SAR recues missing person, Goodridge Island
- Station 37 (Sooke) Search and Rescue assisted 36′ sailing vessel
- Information update on the two missing men, RCMP and RCM-SAR 37
- ICYMI CTV News VI Video: Sooke to become training hub for BC rescuers
- RCM-SAR interviewing rescue crew shortly
- It’s “Giving Tuesday” … Please consider Sooke’s Search and Rescue
- In their own words: Sooke’s SAR on the assist of the capsized boat