The following comes from the Facebook page of the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue – Station 37
Nov.15, 2015 – MAYDAY – 9 people in the water off Race Rocks.
At approximately 2pm RCM-SAR Sooke Station and RCM-SAR Victoria Station were jointly tasked to a vessel overturned off Race Rocks with 9 people in the water. Seas were large at the time with some waves between 6 and 7 feet which made it challenging.
Both vessels arrived on-scene about the same time and both stations assisted in extracting all the people safely from the overturned boat, which had 5 persons on top of the hull and 4 in the water.
[sam id=”15″ codes=”true”]All people were in decent shape, some mildly hypothermic and sea sick and all taken to Pedder Bay Marina were EHS and Air Ambulance was waiting.
Fantastic work and coordination by both Stations.
Big thanks to Springtide Whale Watching vessel for standing by and assisting and a personal fishing craft, unknown vessel and captain for standing by as well.
For more photos, visit the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue – Station 37
Other Search and Rescue stories on Sooke PocketNews
- Marine rescue tend to head injury near Sheringham Lighthouse
- Vessels of opportunity work with Sooke’s marine search and rescue to assist adrift vessel
- Contemplating search and rescue on Sooke waters? (Video)
- Concerned citizen triggers Search and Rescue callout for paddle boarders
- SAR Station 37 called to escort Tribal Journey First Nations canoe into Sooke
- Mayday call sees six rescued from a sinking vessel
- Three lives saved in a Sooke Basin Mayday call
- Sooke’s Search and Rescue Station 37 secures District funding
- Sooke’s marine search and rescue hit the water for two call-outs on Victoria Day
- This rigorous marine rescue training can take your breath away
- Sooke Search and Rescue help a vessel in distress against the rocks
- Cold water survival training RCMSAR Station #37 (Sooke), plus more
- RCMSAR Station 37 (Sooke) respond immediately to Mayday: Vessel taking on water
- Sooke Community Grants: Legion gets $10,000, and Council remains within their $50,000 budget
- Search and Rescue Station 37: Recent call out, and open house invitation
- Sooke, Victoria SAR stations awarded for their role in the 2015 Race Rocks rescue
- Sooke SAR recues missing person, Goodridge Island
- Station 37 (Sooke) Search and Rescue assisted 36′ sailing vessel
- Information update on the two missing men, RCMP and RCM-SAR 37
- ICYMI CTV News VI Video: Sooke to become training hub for BC rescuers
- RCM-SAR interviewing rescue crew shortly
- It’s “Giving Tuesday” … Please consider Sooke’s Search and Rescue
- In their own words: Sooke’s SAR on the assist of the capsized boat
- Sooke Search and Rescue assist with capsized boat
- Sooke SAR Station 37 called to help kayaker on Remembrance Day
- Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue
- Search and Rescue seek hiker in Sombrio
- Video: Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue, East Sooke