-Business advice from the B.C. RCMP
The salutation states,
Hello Dear, email@example.com, then continues with,
You have been detected with a speed violation.
Yes, even we received this suspect email.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind you, the RCMP do not send emails in relation to violation tickets; in fact, we don’t send unsolicited emails at all.
If you receive such an email, DO NOT CLICK any links, nor think about paying a fine, report it to the Canadian Anti- Fraud Center, then delete it.
This is a scam!
Tell your family, friends and neighbours and help spread the word, so that we can #StopThisScam.
Visit the RCMP safety tips page for more information on Frauds and Scams.
Education is the key to scam prevention. Here are other scam alerts SPN has run in the past. Please, share this information widely. The more people know, the less likely they are to be scammed.
- ICBC warning customers of text message scam
- No the CRA won’t tell you to e-Transfer Bitcoin or pay in iTunes cards
- Business e-mail compromise scam prompts warning
- Compromised image extortion trend leads to police warning
- LETTER: Scammed Sooke senior shares this randsomware story
- Envelope theft: Protecting yourself on your special day
- SCAM Reminder: CRA does not do transactions with links!
- Know your customer; Or, Don’t send speeding scam to RCMP
- Public warning issued after similar frauds lead to significant losses
- Scam Alert: Fake job postings target overseas healthcare professionals
- Crush the CRA scam
- Want to hear the CRA SCAM call? CBC’s Anna Maria Tremonti talks, so you can listen
- Sooke Food Bank does not solicit door-to-door
- Be vigilent of CRA scams, phishing scams; RCMP continues to seek public’s assistance in identifying suspects
- Do you have a presence on Facebook? Watch for this possible scam
- RCMP issue alert on scams known as Ransomware and/or Scareware
- Prayer scam hits Sooke
- SCAM: Sooke RCMP alert community of another scam, pay up or face arrest
- SCAM: Fraudster posts as senior in need of a caregiver
- SCAM: CRA unexpected offer to kindly give me hundreds of dollars
- Yet another computer scam to be aware of
- Look out for the “Emergency Scam”
- Cyber blackmail aka “Ransomware” growing as a threat
- Phishing scam using the Coast Capital Savings name
- RCMP chime in on CRA scam currently going through Sooke
- READER’S TIP: 642 Sooke numbers targeted by fake CRA scammers
- Nanaimo RCMP warning reaches Island-wide