From the Facebook Events Page:
“Sooke Fire Rescue is recruiting for Volunteer Firefighters. Come to the Recruit Information Session on September 6th at 7:00 pm to learn what it takes to be a Sooke firefighter, ask questions, and pick up an application package to become a firefighter in your community.”
The following information is a partial extraction from the Sooke.ca website. Please read the full page for complete information, and attend the upcoming information night on September 6.
Volunteer Firefighter Requirements:
- Resident of the District of Sooke
- High School Graduation or GED
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrant status
- Driving record that demonstrates safe and responsible driving behaviour
- Must be in good physical condition and able to successfully complete agility test
- At least 19 years of age
- Current drivers license and access to vehicle
- Must pass a criminal record check
- Must be able to attend all scheduled training sessions
- Must work well with others and be able to function in the dynamic and fast paced emergency services.
- Must be medically fit
- Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 drivers license
- Air brake endorsement
- Fire related courses, such as NFPA 1001 Level II, NFPA 1002, NFPA 472
- Post secondary education
- Technical or trade certificate
- Advanced first aid training
- Previous fire or emergency services experience
- Ability to respond to daytime emergencies
For more information on becoming a volunteer firefighter, visit the District of Sooke website.
Sooke Fire Rescue offers no obligation information and orientation sessions for all new and prospective volunteer applicants. You and your spouse are encouraged to attend where you can learn just what it takes to become a firefighter in your community.
Being a volunteer firefighter is an extremely rewarding and fulfilling opportunity. All members will be challenged both mentally and physically on a daily basis. Being an active volunteer firefighter resembles a part time job.
- The Facebook Event
- The Sooke Fire Rescue Service Recruitment page
- Volunteer Firefighter Application
- 2017-2018 Recruitment Schedule