June 3, 2017 – MAYDAY persons in water Sooke Basin. 3 LIVES SAVED!!
RCMSAR Station Sooke tasked by JRCC/CCG to a report of a small craft overturned in the Sooke Basin between Billings Spit and Goodridge Island, two persons believed in the water.
Crews depart within 15 minutes of the page out and arrived on-scene approx. Nine minutes later where searching of the waters commenced.
Crews were looking for an overturned boat but by quickly and methodically scanning the waters noticed one head sticking out of the water.
A single person was seen holding onto a small plastic fuel can. About 200 feet away crews, and only a short time later, spotted a second and a third person treading in the water.
None were wearing PFD’s (personal flotation device)!
All tbhree were quickly pulled out of the water within five minutes of RCMSAR arriving on-scene, warmed up and checked over by crews. Cold and in shock, all three were ok.
BCEHS and Sooke Fire Rescue were dispatched to Sunny Shores Marina where RCMSAR crews handed off all three persons.
All three are very lucky to be alive today. Minutes later it could have been a very different outcome.
RCMSAR Station Sooke would like to thank Sooke BCEHS and Sooke Fire Dept. for their assistance.
- Sooke’s water rescue team tends to grounded vessel Dec 3
- Late morning call-out on Friday for Sooke’s marine Search and Rescue
- Sooke marine rescue tasked to Port Renfrew to assist, Monday afternoon
- Sooke marine rescue called out to assist three in a boat stuck in thick Bull Kelp, East Sooke
- Sooke’s marine rescue recognized with an award
- Sooke marine rescue tends to early morning head injury
- Sooke responds to Mayday off Possession Point on Friday evening
- Marine rescue tend to head injury near Sheringham Lighthouse
- Vessels of opportunity work with Sooke’s marine search and rescue to assist adrift vessel
- Contemplating search and rescue on Sooke waters? (Video)
- Concerned citizen triggers Search and Rescue callout for paddle boarders
- SAR Station 37 called to escort Tribal Journey First Nations canoe into Sooke
- Mayday call sees six rescued from a sinking vessel
- Three lives saved in a Sooke Basin Mayday call
- Sooke’s Search and Rescue Station 37 secures District funding
- Sooke’s marine search and rescue hit the water for two call-outs on Victoria Day
- This rigorous marine rescue training can take your breath away
- Sooke Search and Rescue help a vessel in distress against the rocks
- Cold water survival training RCMSAR Station #37 (Sooke), plus more
- RCMSAR Station 37 (Sooke) respond immediately to Mayday: Vessel taking on water
- Sooke Community Grants: Legion gets $10,000, and Council remains within their $50,000 budget
- Search and Rescue Station 37: Recent call out, and open house invitation
- Sooke, Victoria SAR stations awarded for their role in the 2015 Race Rocks rescue
- Sooke SAR recues missing person, Goodridge Island
- Station 37 (Sooke) Search and Rescue assisted 36′ sailing vessel
- Information update on the two missing men, RCMP and RCM-SAR 37
- ICYMI CTV News VI Video: Sooke to become training hub for BC rescuers
- RCM-SAR interviewing rescue crew shortly
- It’s “Giving Tuesday” … Please consider Sooke’s Search and Rescue
- In their own words: Sooke’s SAR on the assist of the capsized boat