Yesterday, on August 10, Sooke’s Marine Search and Rescue team was tasked to assist a 27′ vessel with two persons on-board, which was adrift near Whiffin Spit in the fog.
The Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue Station Sooke (37) was tasked by thwe Joint Rescue Co-Ordination Centre (JRCC) Victoria at 5:16 pm to a report of a 27′ vessel adrift near Whiffin Spit. Multiple vessels of opportunity (vessel owners in the vicinity who volunteer to assist) were standing by keeping them off the shore while we got underway. Thick fog blanketed the Whiffin Spit area.
A small vessel of opportunity was able to get a line on them and began the tow into Sooke Harbour. We met up with them and took the tow over to safely bring the vessel and persons ashore.
Vessel safely secured at the Sooke Government Dock.
Thank you to 2 Reel Adventures for standing by and relaying communications and information to the Coast Guard. And thank you to the the other vessels standing by to assist and ensure the vessel didn’t go aground.
- Marine rescue tend to head injury near Sheringham Lighthouse
- Vessels of opportunity work with Sooke’s marine search and rescue to assist adrift vessel
- Contemplating search and rescue on Sooke waters? (Video)
- Concerned citizen triggers Search and Rescue callout for paddle boarders
- SAR Station 37 called to escort Tribal Journey First Nations canoe into Sooke
- Mayday call sees six rescued from a sinking vessel
- Three lives saved in a Sooke Basin Mayday call
- Sooke’s Search and Rescue Station 37 secures District funding
- Sooke’s marine search and rescue hit the water for two call-outs on Victoria Day
- This rigorous marine rescue training can take your breath away
- Sooke Search and Rescue help a vessel in distress against the rocks
- Cold water survival training RCMSAR Station #37 (Sooke), plus more
- RCMSAR Station 37 (Sooke) respond immediately to Mayday: Vessel taking on water
- Sooke Community Grants: Legion gets $10,000, and Council remains within their $50,000 budget
- Search and Rescue Station 37: Recent call out, and open house invitation
- Sooke, Victoria SAR stations awarded for their role in the 2015 Race Rocks rescue
- Sooke SAR recues missing person, Goodridge Island
- Station 37 (Sooke) Search and Rescue assisted 36′ sailing vessel
- Information update on the two missing men, RCMP and RCM-SAR 37
- ICYMI CTV News VI Video: Sooke to become training hub for BC rescuers
- RCM-SAR interviewing rescue crew shortly
- It’s “Giving Tuesday” … Please consider Sooke’s Search and Rescue
- In their own words: Sooke’s SAR on the assist of the capsized boat
- Sooke Search and Rescue assist with capsized boat
- Sooke SAR Station 37 called to help kayaker on Remembrance Day
- Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue
- Search and Rescue seek hiker in Sombrio
- Video: Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue, East Sooke