Here’s a timely reminder from Wild Wise Sooke Debbie Read. We’re coming into prime bear-attracted-to-human-spaces season.
“There may be more bear-human interactions to come, with the peak usually occurring in the third week of September,” writes Read in her Facebook post below.
“People have to be more proactive in deterring bears and the solution, is simple: If people can manage their garbage and fruit trees properly, we would have a lot less conflict.”
Read this earlier article published on SPN two years ago: Bear-proofing your yard for autumn in Sooke. Same stuff still generally applies. See also the additional information in the links below.
- Want fewer bears put down? Manage your garbage, pick your fruit!
- Increased bear sightings, what you need to know, and how to keep bears alive
- Bear sightings at Potholes, between parking lots 3 and 2
- Black bear wants some water play in Sunriver
- A sure sign of spring for residents of Sooke is the return of bears.
- Bear in Area signs emerge from hibernation
- Wild Wise Sooke presents falling numbers in Sooke
- Bear conflicts are on the rise
- Wild Wise Sooke reminds SUNRIVER residents to store garbage indoors and manage attractions
- Reminder from Wild Wise Sooke: Bears are emerging from the hills
- Be bear-wise in Sooke: Bear-proof your yard
- First bear destroyed, Wild Wise Sooke urges education
- Be Bear Wise: Wild Wise Sooke suggests spring cleaning, minimize attractants
- More cougar cautions for Sooke Potholes hiking area
- Good to Know: How to deal with a surprise encounter with a black bear
- A Bear’s Bill of Rights, from Wild Wise Sooke
- The community of Sooke let this bear down, say Conservation Officers
- Another bear killed in Sooke
- What a Sooke bear in its natural habitat looks like
- LETTER: A fed bear is a dead bear, and DON’T blame the Conservation Officers!
- From SD62: Bear & Wildlife Safety Reminder – for you and your kids
- VIDEO: Globe and Mail video on Bears in Sooke
- Public Advisory from Wild Wise Sooke: Bears are being habituated in Sooke
- Bear sighting on Sooke Road, close to downtown
- Bear sightings are up in Sooke
- Bear-proofing your yard for autumn in Sooke
- The Wild Wise Sooke website is your local wildlife information resource
- BC RCMP issue reminder about bear safety
- Bear killed near Francis Gardens in Sooke
- Spring into … Preparing for Bears