Hospitalizations have dropped for the first time in a week. ICU numbers are holding steady. Since yesterday, there have been 1,001 new cases. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- The total of 122,757 cases in British Columbia to date. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 215 new cases
- Fraser Health: 626 new cases
- Island Health: 26 new cases
- Interior Health: 93 new cases
- Northern Health: 39 new cases
- Active cases 8,842: (previously 9,145), with 12,608 (previously 14,711) people under public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases.
- Hospitalized cases: 486 (previously 502)
- Intensive care: 160 (previously 161)
- 4 new deaths (total 1,554)
- Recovered: 113,139
To date, 1,542,066 (was 1,500,430) first doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 88,663 of which are second doses.
As of tomorrow anyone 18 years and older will be able eligible to register on the government website to get vaccinated. If you’re 40 and up, you can also contact your local pharmacy to register for the Astrazeneca vaccine.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement
“We encourage everyone to register on the Get Vaccinated website – whether they are getting their vaccine as part of the age-based program, worker program or at their local pharmacy. Everyone 18 years and older is now eligible to register for their vaccine.
“We must all continue our efforts to keep communities safe, protect our loved ones and support B.C.’s health-care system from the pressures COVID-19 places upon it.
“Today, the Province has issued a new order to limit non-essential travel in B.C. Under the Emergency Program Act, non-essential travel is prohibited between three regional zones in the province, using health authority boundaries. These zones are the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley (Vancouver Coastal and Fraser Health), Vancouver Island (Island Health) and the Interior and North (Interior and Northern Health).
“The message remains the same – by staying in our local communities, we will prevent the spread of this virus and move forward together to a time when it is behind us.
“With this order, the Province is also working with partners to increase highway signage along the border with Alberta, with BC Ferries to restrict non-essential vehicle passage and with tourism and accommodation industry associations to support operators and businesses in declining bookings from outside of their regional zones.
“Now is the time to stay close to home and to get vaccinated as soon as you are eligible, to keep yourself, your family and your community safe.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 494 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, May 14, 2021
- 587 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, May 13, 2021
- 600 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 12, 2021
- 515 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, May 11, 2021
- 1,759 new BC COVID-19 cases, 20 deaths, May 8-10, 2021 (three days)
- 722 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, May 7, 2021
- 694 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 6, 2021
- 572 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, May 5, 2021
- 697 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 4, 2021
- 2,174 new BC COVID-19 cases, 15 death, May 3, 2021
- 740 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 death, April 30, 2021
- 874 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, April 29, 2021
- 841 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, April 28, 2021
- 799 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, April 27, 2021
- 2,491 new BC COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths, April 26, 2021
- 1,001 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths, April 23, 2021
- 1,006 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths, April 22, 2021
- 862 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, April 20, 2021
- 849 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, April 20, 2021
- 2,960 new BC COVID-19 cases, 8 deaths (sadly recording youngest death in BC), April 19, 2021
- 1,005 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 16, 2021
- 1,205 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 15, 2021 (includes modelling)
- 1,168 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 14, 2021
- 873 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 13, 2021
- 3,289 new BC COVID-19 cases, 18 deaths, April 12, 2021 (3 days)
- 1,262 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 9, 2021
- 1,293 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 8, 2021
- 997 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 7, 2021
- 1,068 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 6, 2021
- 1,889 new BC COVID-19 cases in the last two days, 23 death in the last four, as of April 5, 2021