Since yesterday, there have been 1,005 new cases. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
You may have heard about an independent COVID modeling group (via UBC) raising the alarm about increased cases of hospitals hitting capacity in May if the curve does not bend downward, soon. You can see that report here.
- The total of 117,080 cases in British Columbia to date. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 259 new cases
- Fraser Health: 536 new cases
- Island Health: 49 new cases
- Interior Health: 110 new cases
- Northern Health: 51 new cases
- Active cases: 10,081 (previously 10,052), with 15,877 (was 16,217) people under public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases.
- Hospitalized cases: 425 (previously 409)
- Intensive care: 127 (previously 125)
- 6 new deaths (total 1,530)
- Recovered: 105,291 (previously 104,331)
To date, 1,282,091 (was 1,235,863) doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,820 of which are second doses.
There are currently 5,739 cases of COVID-19 that are confirmed variants of concern in our province. Of the total cases, 212 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 3,858 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 71 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 1,810 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
People can register on the government website to get vaccinated. If you’re between the ages of 55 and 65, you can also contact your local pharmacy to register for the Astrazeneca vaccine.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement:
“Spending time outside is important for our physical and mental well-being. But we have to remember that while being outside with others is much lower risk than being inside, it is not without risk.
“Even if we are outside, we need to stay small and continue to use our layers of protection. This means keeping a safe distance and wearing masks, especially if someone is higher risk for serious illness.
“Be purposeful about who you are seeing and where you are going, and stick with the same close contacts.
“If you choose to see a close friend for brunch on a patio, then make sure it is the same friend every time. If you decide to have a barbecue in your backyard, then keep to your roommates or family only. Or, if you visit your neighbourhood park with another family, then make it with only one other family and do activities that allow everyone to keep a safe distance from each other.
“It is easy to look for loopholes, but rather let’s look for how we can keep each other safe.
“We need to stay local and stay in our neighbourhoods. We need to stay outside and with our same close friends. So let’s all do our part this weekend so we can stop the spread and put COVID-19 behind us.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 2,239 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 27, 2021 (3 days)
- 743 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 24, 2021
- 832 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 23, 2021
- 759 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 22, 2021
- 525 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 21, 2021
- 1,692 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 20, 2021 (3 days)
- 768 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 17, 2021
- 706 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 16, 2021
- 661 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 15, 2021
- 677 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 14, 2021
- 1,984 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 13, 2021 (3 days)
- 820 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 10, 2021
- 774 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 9, 2021
- 814 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 8, 2021
- 2,425 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 7, 2021 (4 days)
- 671 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 3, 2021
- 801 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 2, 2021
- 785 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 1, 2021
- 655 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 31, 2021 (includes video of today’s modelling)
- 1,853 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 30, 2021 (3 days)
- 867 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 27, 2021
- 724 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 26, 2021
- 698 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 25, 2021
- 641 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 24, 2021
- 1,711 new BC COVID-19 cases, 16 deaths, Aug 23, 2021 (3 days)
- 663 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 20, 2021
- 689 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, Aug 19, 2021
- 553 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 18, 2021
- 501 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 17, 2021
- 1,434 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 16, 2021 (3 days)