According to SPN Polls, here’s the profile of the average SPN Poll respondent
- You want to see a Tim Hortons in Sooke.
- Property crime in Sooke can be best dealt with through a formal block watch program. Second up: Hire more RCMP.
- Medical marijuana dispensaries are GREAT!
- You supported SEAPARC’s purchase of the golf course on Throup Rd.
- You support proportional representation.
- You think the rocks adorning the uptown sidewalks are a Miss (hate it).
- Mayor and council are failing your, causing you great concern. If municipal elections were held, you’d re-elect some (not all).
- You believe Sooke is a safe place to live.
- You vote for the provincial NDP.
- Sooke in the summer means the Potholes.
- You believe minimum wage should be a living wage.
- Almost half of you hate your job, and another huge chunk love love love it. Very few of you are neutral.
- Plastic bags should be either banned and failing that, should be provided for free by the business.
- You would have preferred to see Hillary at the helm, but believe Bernie would have been better.
- Knowing of road closures really, REALLY matters to you.
- Christmas trees should go up in December, or at the very least, after Remembrance Day.
- You don’t make New Year Resolutions.
The hottest SPN articles in 2016 (excluding tragedies and deaths)
Following are the most-read articles published on Sooke PocketNews. You are tuned in to local politics and avidly interested in crime. The summer shootings had you on the edge of your seat, as did traffic incidents. Wildlife activities emerged over the summer. You were hungry for new food outlets.
- Developing a Destination Framework for Downtown Sooke – Report Jan 11, 2016
- Sooke entrepreneur seeks to raise funds for Walbran awareness billboard on Pat Bay Highway Jan 15
- Sooke staff is slim and trim, or is it lean and mean… Jan 27
- Maja Tait announces her pending return Feb 22
- Sooke, you’ve been doing it wrong since 2009: Sooke’s Director Corporate Services sets the record straight Feb 23
- TELUS Fibre is coming to 90% of our neighbourhood Feb 24
- Sooke’s best kept secret: A senior cohousing community with 31 units sets a Canadian standard (2463) Feb 26
- Early morning car fire, photos Feb 28
- Police report from the Sooke RCMP: Feb/Mar criminal activity, statement on social media Mar 1
- Serious crash on Sooke Road, Saseenos; detour available (4266) Mar 4
- Discharge of raw sewage into Sooke River Estuary causes emergency sanitary closure at the Sooke River basin Mar 4
- Structure fire around 7500 Block of West Coast Road Mar 5
- Multiple break-ins has Sooke resident calling for increased funding for RCMP night patrol Mar 10
- More cougar cautions for Sooke Potholes hiking area Mar 17
- Sooke’s newest cafe: Jenny’s Country Pantry and Tea Shoppe is now open! Mar 30
- Sooke Medijuana Dispensary Apr 1
- Malahat closed in both directions – April 7, 2016, 12:30pm Apr 7
- What do you get with a room full of politicians discussing parental leave? Unanimous consent digging us out of the dark ages. #BecauseIts2016 Apr 10
- SPN take-aways from the April 11 Council meeting; Kasper returns CRD Director position to Tait Apr 11
- Sooke RCMP warn against vigilante activities Apr 19
- New food truck, “Straight Outta Chompton,” coming to Sooke’s Castle Apr 27
- Why keeping an eye on municipal council matters. A lot. SPN observation from March 14 Council meeting Apr 28
- SEAPARC referendum passes May 1
- First forest fire of the year reported, near Tugwell Creek May 3
- Burning ban now in effect May 5
- Three recent wolf sightings in Sooke (4985) May 5
- Not just another impaired driving investigation May 11
- RCMP have new tools to see distracted drivers (5077) May 18
- CRD purchases parkland on Sooke River Road May 30
- Earthquake centred in Sooke, June 1 2016 (4605) June 1
- Cellular tower erected in the town centre June 1
- Sooke’s new Boulevard is now open June 3
- Jake Schuttinga, EMCS student, takes Skills Canada Gold for Carpentry in the Provincials and National June 8
- Sooke RCMP issue a release on the Sooke shooting June 15
- Sooke shooting suspects arrested June 20
- Third person involved in Sooke shooting identified as Damien James Medwedrich (5924) June 20
- Emergency workers bring a man back to life June 21
- TOP STORY OF THE YEAR: Sooke RCMP seize guns, drugs after reports of automatic weapons fire (11,389) June 22
- Sooke Royal Canadian Legion: It’s not what you think! June 22
- Boat launch over-flow parking at Prestige: lease cost, video of the walkway June 23
- An explanation for the green water in Sooke Basin (2432) June 27
- Sooke’s second pot shop opens its doors for business (4275) June 27
- Canada Day Ends Well for 125 Crabs July 1
- District of Sooke News Release: Freedom of Expression in Sooke July 5
- Sooke contestant Patrice Wilson named Miss Vancouver Island, 2016 July 7
- RCMP follow-up on Thursday’s head-on collision on Sooke Rd July 8
- Poverty in Sooke, a very hidden problem July 10
- Kemp Lake Water Works District, Sooke: Boil Advisory effective 12 July 2016
- Legal letters to SPN “not a District thing” July 15
- West Coast roadside parking alive and well July 16
- Sooke commuters can expect traffic changes with the new Westshore Parkway (2641) July 18
- Sooke Fire Chief Steven Sorensen hangs up his helmet (2066) July 22
- Witnesses wanted in 10-person altercation (4771) July 25
- Station 37 (Sooke) Search and Rescue assisted 36′ sailing vessel July 25
- Cougar video, Sheringham Point Rd (8198) Aug 7
- RCMP net another illegal crabber Aug 9
- Cougar spotted by Sooke Chevron (4520) Aug 16
- Cougar alert for Whiffin Spit and area (3283) Aug 21
- MYSTERY SOLVED: Missing telescope from “Mariner Man” on Murray at Horne Aug 22
- RCMP want to speak with the tattooed candy man (4848) Aug 29
- Back-to-school tax credit of $250 per child, no receipts required (7909) Sept 2
- Destroyed cougar attempted to enter a home, met human confrontation with aggression Sept 5
- British Columbia’s minimum wage increases on Sept. 15 (5958) Sept 14
- Counterfeit Currency Warning: Sooke RCMP Sept 22
- Theft: Male Sexual Performance Enhancement Pills (4144) Sept 29
- Traffickers arrested, cocaine and pickup truck seized, two men in custody Sept 30
- Raw sewage discharges into the Sooke River Estuary Oct 5
- Clown related threats impact schools in BC Oct 9
- Sooke, Victoria SAR stations awarded for their role in the 2015 Race Rocks rescue Oct 10
- Anticipating heavy rainfalls, District invites residents to get sandbags Oct 12
- Dumpster filled in hours: hazardous waste, construction materials, appliances, and more Oct 20
- District employees vs contractors, and too many shades of grey Oct 26
- Sooke RCMP Seize Drugs, Cash, Weapons in Search Warrant (4310) Nov 3
- Garrath, one of the Stick People, moves on Nov 4
- There’s a new SOB in town: Sooke Oceanside Brewery is now open! Nov 4
- District plays Whack-a-Mole with the Financial Plan Nov 15
- Fire destroys trailer that a family called home Nov 29
- Rogue vehicle causes multiple collisions on Sooke Rd – two suspects arrested Dec 1
- Feds launch MyDemocracy.ca to poll Canadians on electoral reform Dec 5
- The weather outside is frightful… or delightful Dec 6
- Weather-related school closure and bus cancellations: Information for parents Dec 7
- Dec 12 Council Meeting Takeaways: Public forum sees a lineup; staff collectively walk out; other sundry stuff happened Dec 12
- Criticism is confused with defamation and harassment Dec 20