Since Friday, there have been 2,518 more diagnosed COVID-19 cases in B.C. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- Period ending Saturday: 936
- Period ending Sunday: 805
- Period ending Monday: 774
- Total cases in B.C. since the pandemic began: 98,165. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 816 new cases
- Fraser Health: 1280 new cases
- Island Health: 142 new cases
- Interior Health: 156 new cases
- Northern Health: 121 new cases
- Active cases: ? (previously 6,245)
- Hospitalized cases: 299 (previously 294)
- Intensive care: 79 (previously 81)
- 6 new deaths (total 1,455)
To date, 699,092 (was 637,856) doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,289 of which are second doses.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement
Premier John Horgan opened today’s call with a plea to those in their 20’s to 39 who are not doing their job. He did acknowledge that those who regularly tune into the updates are doing their part, but others are not.
“Do not blow this for the rest of us,” he pleaded, adding that for now, we need to curtail social activities. Today’s number, he said, exceeds the numbers at the peak of the second wave.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry stated a number of new orders to act as a circuit breaker for the transmission of COVID-19. In brief, they are as follows (for the next three weeks starting midnight tonight until at least April 19, 2021):
- No indoor dining at restaurants. Patios can stay open and deliveries and pickup can continue, but indoor dining is no longer permitted for the next three weeks. Restaurants serving only appetizers must close.
- Indoor fitness classes for adults are no longer allowed. Local outdoor team practices for youth can continue. Outdoor fitness group activities can continue.
- Indoor worship, which has recently been reinstated to a small degree, is also suspended.
- The Whistler/Blackcomb ski resort is closed, and that comes with a special plea for everyone in the province to stop traveling to other communities.
- If you or your children are ill, stay home and get tested as soon as possible.
- If you can arrange to work from home, please do so.
- Hunker down. As much as you possibly can, stay at home. Do not travel to another community, stay as close to home as possible.
- Surrey schools are expanding their mask-wearing requirements
Dr. Henry closed by stating that people have to choose and stick to their 10 friends, and gather only outside.
“The miles are hardest when your closest to the finish,” noted Dr. Henry, adding that we are very close to the finish but not quite there yet.
Minister of Health Adrien Dix closed the announcement by stating that it’s “us and the vaccine against COVID-19.”
Watch today’s statement
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 1,692 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 20, 2021 (3 days)
- 768 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 17, 2021
- 706 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 16, 2021
- 661 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 15, 2021
- 677 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 14, 2021
- 1,984 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 13, 2021 (3 days)
- 820 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 10, 2021
- 774 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 9, 2021
- 814 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 8, 2021
- 2,425 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 7, 2021 (4 days)
- 671 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 3, 2021
- 801 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 2, 2021
- 785 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 1, 2021
- 655 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 31, 2021 (includes video of today’s modelling)
- 1,853 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 30, 2021 (3 days)
- 867 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 27, 2021
- 724 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 26, 2021
- 698 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 25, 2021
- 641 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 24, 2021
- 1,711 new BC COVID-19 cases, 16 deaths, Aug 23, 2021 (3 days)
- 663 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 20, 2021
- 689 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, Aug 19, 2021
- 553 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 18, 2021
- 501 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 17, 2021
- 1,434 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 16, 2021 (3 days)
- 717 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, Aug 13, 2021
- 513 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 12, 2021
- 536 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 11, 2021
- 395 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, Aug 10, 2021
- 1,079 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Aug 9, 2021