More than 33,000 British Columbians showed up at clinics throughout the province and got vaccinated during the first Walk-in Wednesday, including more than 8,100 first doses.
“From Vanderhoof to Victoria, from Chilliwack to Creston, we saw thousands of people throughout B.C. drop in for Walk-in Wednesday and do their part to get vaccinated,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of Health. “With nearly 68% of eligible people now fully vaccinated in our province, every dose we administer brings us closer to our goal. The best way to keep us all safe is to get vaccinated.”
On Aug. 4, 2021, the Province set aside 20,000 doses for walk-in vaccinations for anyone 12 and older who needed their first dose, or for people eligible for their second dose. More than 80% of those doses were administered, with 37.6% being first doses.
“Our province is currently facing a wave of cases in the unvaccinated,” said Dr. Bonnie Henry, provincial health officer. “Events like Walk-in Wednesday are critical for making it even easier for people to get their vaccines. I am grateful to all the British Columbians who have rolled up their sleeves to get their COVID-19 vaccine – this simple act brings us one step closer to putting the pandemic behind us.”
As of Thursday, Aug. 5, 2021, 81.7% (3,785,216) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 68.4% (3,172,287) have received their second dose.
In addition, 82.6% (3,571,104) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 70.6% (3,053,283) have received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 402 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 151,375 cases in the province.
There are currently 2,066 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 147,510 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 58 individuals are currently in hospital and 21 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
- 82 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 449
- 41 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 290
- 234 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 1,121
- 20 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 67
- 25 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 127
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 12
In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,772.
There are five active outbreaks in:
- long-term care: Holyrood Manor (Fraser Health), Nelson Jubilee Manor, Kootenay Street Village, Cottonwoods Care Centre and Brookhaven Care Centre (Interior Health)
- acute care: none
- assisted or independent living: none
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 6,965,062 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
- During B.C.’s first provincewide Walk-in Wednesday, clinics administered 33,277 shots.
- Of these shots, 16,505 were walk-ins, the rest were scheduled appointments.
- There are still many options for people throughout the province to get vaccinated. A full list is available here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/vaxforbc
- While registering and booking your vaccine appointment is the best option to secure a dose, many clinics continue to offer walk-in opportunities.
- For new health measures in the Central Okanagan, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/7-28_Interior_Health.pdf
- People throughout B.C. can find their nearest Vax for BC event online by visiting: www.gov.bc.ca/VaxForBC
- For information on breakthrough cases, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/7-27_breakthrough_cases.pdf
Or see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
- Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
- To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated.html
- To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
- For recent modelling, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/6-28_PHO_presentation.pdf
- For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
- For guidance on restrictions, visit:
- The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures
Previous provincial updates
- 457 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, Oct 26, 2021
- 1,618 new BC COVID-19 cases, 20 deaths, Oct 25, 2021 (3 days)
- 649 new BC COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths, Oct 22, 2021
- 715 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths, Oct 21, 2021
- 696 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, Oct 20, 2021
- 560 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Oct 19, 2021
- 1,846 new BC COVID-19 cases, 26 deaths, Oct 18, 2021 (3 days)
- 667 new BC COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths, Oct 15, 2021
- 580 new BC COVID-19 cases, 9 deaths, Oct 14, 2021
- 605 new BC COVID-19 cases, Oct 13, 2021
- 2,090 new BC COVID-19 cases, Oct 12, 2021 (4 days)
- 743 new BC COVID-19 cases, Oct 8, 2021
- 624 new BC COVID-19 cases, Oct 7, 2021
- 752 new BC COVID-19 cases, Oct 6, 2021
- 593 new BC COVID-19 cases, Oct 5, 2021
- 1,986 new BC COVID-19 cases, Oct 4, 2021 (3 days)
- 714 new BC COVID-19 cases, Oct 1, 2021
- 749 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 30, 2021
- 813 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 29, 2021
- 652 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 28, 2021