Since yesterday, there have been 556 more diagnosed COVID-19 cases in B.C., and 9,511 cases are being actively monitored. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- Total cases in B.C. since the pandemic began: 88,929. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 139 new cases
- Fraser Health: 331 new cases
- Island Health: 27 new cases
- Interior Health: 16 new cases
- Northern Health:41 new cases
- Active cases: 4,999 (previously 4,987)
- Hospitalized cases: 280 (previously 269)
- Intensive care: 84 (previously 76)
- 0 new deaths (total 1,407)
- Recovered: 82,436
There have been 116 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern identified in our province in the last day, for a total of 996 cases. Of the total cases, 130 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 921 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 41 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 34 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
To date, 424,517 (was 409,103) doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,070 of which are second doses. Vaccine appointment bookings are open for people over 83, adding one year each day this week for people 80 and older by the end of the week, along with Indigenous peoples over 65.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement
“We are all excited to get our COVID-19 vaccine, as not only do they provide protection, but also bring hope and renewal for all of us.
“Every person who receives a vaccine makes all of us safer, which is why teams are working hard to ensure every drop of available vaccine supply gets into arms as soon as possible. Already, we have been able to accelerate availability for older citizens and we hope to be able to continue to push forward at this pace.
“The vaccines are protecting more and more seniors and Elders. They are also helping break the chains of transmission in our communities where we continue to see outbreaks and spread. This is critical to our pandemic response.
“At the same time, we are starting to turn the dial to restart activities that have been on pause, starting with outdoor activities that are safer. We must continue to be cautious in our approach to achieve the right balance – moving slowly to ensure we don’t give the virus the opportunity to surge.
“A reminder for those who celebrate St. Patrick’s Day to do so safely and in line with the provincial health officer’s orders. That means that last call at restaurants, pubs and liquor stores will be at 8 p.m. on March 17, 2021, to protect our businesses and the people who work in them.
“This is a time of hope for all of us – a time when we can start to look forward, knowing brighter days are ahead. As we do, let’s ensure we are also keeping to few faces, open spaces and with all of our safety layers in place.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 494 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, May 14, 2021
- 587 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, May 13, 2021
- 600 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 12, 2021
- 515 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, May 11, 2021
- 1,759 new BC COVID-19 cases, 20 deaths, May 8-10, 2021 (three days)
- 722 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, May 7, 2021
- 694 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 6, 2021
- 572 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, May 5, 2021
- 697 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 4, 2021
- 2,174 new BC COVID-19 cases, 15 death, May 3, 2021
- 740 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 death, April 30, 2021
- 874 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, April 29, 2021
- 841 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, April 28, 2021
- 799 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, April 27, 2021
- 2,491 new BC COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths, April 26, 2021
- 1,001 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths, April 23, 2021
- 1,006 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths, April 22, 2021
- 862 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, April 20, 2021
- 849 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, April 20, 2021
- 2,960 new BC COVID-19 cases, 8 deaths (sadly recording youngest death in BC), April 19, 2021
- 1,005 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 16, 2021
- 1,205 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 15, 2021 (includes modelling)
- 1,168 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 14, 2021
- 873 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 13, 2021
- 3,289 new BC COVID-19 cases, 18 deaths, April 12, 2021 (3 days)
- 1,262 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 9, 2021
- 1,293 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 8, 2021
- 997 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 7, 2021
- 1,068 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 6, 2021
- 1,889 new BC COVID-19 cases in the last two days, 23 death in the last four, as of April 5, 2021