As of Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2021, 89.7% (4,157,816) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 84.7% (3,925,937) received their second dose.
In addition, 90.1% (3,898,653) of all eligible adults have received their first dose and 85.3% (3,690,208) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 609 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 203,582 cases in the province.
Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.
There are currently 4,748 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 196,342 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 422 individuals are currently in hospital and 157 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: As of Oct. 26, Interior Health has changed the primary source of COVID-19 hospitalization surveillance data. This change in data source will lead to a one-time increase in the number of ever and currently reported COVID-19 hospitalizations. This change is retrospective to the beginning of the pandemic though primarily affects cases reported since August 2021.
The new/active cases include:
- 257 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 2,043
- 79 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 676
- 92 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 642
- 126 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 804
- 55 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 524
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 59
In the past 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for a total of 2,137.
The new deaths include:
- Fraser Health: five
- Northern Health: one
There have been five new health-care facility outbreaks at Queen’s Park Care Centre, Rosemary Heights Seniors Village, Pacific Carlton Seniors Community, Tabor Home and Rideau Retirement Residence (Fraser Health). The outbreak at Sunset Manor (Fraser Health) has been declared over, for a total of 32 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum, Queens Park Care Centre, Heritage Village, Valleyhaven Retirement Community, Rosemary Heights Seniors Village, Tabor Home (Fraser Health);
- Amica Lions Gate, Amica Edgemont (Vancouver Coastal Health);
- Cottonwoods Care Centre, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre, Deni House (Interior Health); and
- Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
- acute care:
- Mission Memorial Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital, Queen’s Park Care Centre (Fraser Health);
- University Hospital of Northern BC, GR Baker Memorial Hospital and Bulkley Valley District Hospital (Northern Health).
- assisted or independent living:
- Menno Terrace West, The Emerald at Elim Village, Swedish Assisted Living Residence, Harrison Pointe, Norman Manor, Pacific Carlton Seniors Community and Rideau Retirement Residence (Fraser Health).
From Oct. 19-25, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 64.1% of cases, and from Oct. 12-25 they accounted for 74.9% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 19-25) – Total 4,153
- Not vaccinated: 2,377 (57.2%)
- Partially vaccinated: 287 (6.9%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,489 (35.9%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 12-25) – Total 449
- Not vaccinated: 306 (68.2%)
- Partially vaccinated: 30 (6.7%)
- Fully vaccinated: 113 (25.2%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 19-25)
- Not vaccinated: 293.1
- Partially vaccinated: 92.3
- Fully vaccinated: 34.7
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 12-25)
- Not vaccinated: 55.8
- Partially vaccinated: 13.2
- Fully vaccinated: 2.5
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,186,611 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
- For the Oct. 26, 2021, announcement on COVID-19 booster shots for all British Columbians, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25604
- For new regional restrictions in the Northern Health region, visit:
- For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
- As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
- For the Sept. 28, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/9-28_PHO_modelling.pdf
- To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
- To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
- For new health measures in the Northern Health region, visit: https://stories.northernhealth.ca/news/new-health-measures-introduced-northern-health-region
- For the Aug. 31, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/8-31_PHO_modelling.pdf
- For the provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
- For the Aug. 23, 2021, announcement on proof of vaccination in B.C., visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25211
- For the new provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
- For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
- For new health measures in the central Okanagan, visit:
- For information on breakthrough cases, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/7-27_breakthrough_cases.pdf
- Or see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
- Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
- To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated.html
- To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
- For recent modelling, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/6-28_PHO_presentation.pdf
- For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
- For guidance on restrictions, visit:
- The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/data-outbreaks
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures
Previous provincial updates
- 1,975 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, 854 (up) hospitalized, and 112 (up) in ICU: Jan 18, 2022
- 5,625 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, 819 (up) hospitalized, and 99 (up) in ICU: Jan 15-17, 2022
- 2,275 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, 646 (up) hospitalized, and 95 (down) in ICU: Jan 14, 2022
- Latest epidemiological modelling for BC (if you’ve never watched one of these, this is a good one to start with)
- 2,554 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, 534 (up) hospitalized, and 102 (same) in ICU: Jan 13, 2022
- 2,239 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, 500 (up) hospitalized, and 102 (up) in ICU: Jan 12, 2022
- 2,239 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, 469 (up) hospitalized, and 97 (up) in ICU: Jan 11, 2022
- 6,966 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, 431 (up) hospitalized, and 95 (up) in ICU: Jan 10, 2022 (3 days)
- 3,144 new BC COVID-19 cases, 9 deaths, 349 (up) hospitalized, and 93 (up) in ICU: Jan 6, 2022
- 3,223 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, 324 (up) hospitalized, and 90 (up) in ICU: Jan 6, 2022
- 3,798 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, 317 hospitalized, and 83 in ICU: Jan 5, 2022
- 2,542 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths, 298 hospitalized, and 86 in ICU: Jan 4, 2022
- 9,932 new BC COVID-19 cases, Jan 3, 2022 (3 days)
- 3,795 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, Dec 31, 2021
- 4,383 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Dec 30, 2021
- 2,944 new BC COVID-19 cases Dec 29, 2021; New order delays K-12 for one week
- 1,785 new BC COVID-19 cases Dec 28, 2021
- 6,288 new BC COVID-19 cases (2,552, then 2,023, then 1,713) Dec 27, 2021 (3 days)
- 2,441 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 death, Dec 24, 2021 (was 789 cases a week ago)
- 2,046 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Dec 23, 2021 (was 753 cases a week ago)