Since yesterday, there have been 617 more diagnosed COVID-19 cases in B.C. and 8,755 people are actively being monitored.
- Total cases in B.C. since the pandemic began: 56,632. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 139 new cases
- Fraser Health: 320 new cases
- Island Health: 27 new cases
- Interior Health: 81 new cases
- Northern Health: 49 new cases
- Active cases: 6,118 (previously 6,349)
- Hospitalized cases: 358 (previously 472)
- Intensive care: 75 (previously 74)
- 18 new deaths (total 988)
- Recovered: 48,205 (previously 47,374)
- 1,508,966 individuals have been tested as of January 8, 2021,
(was 1,500,005 individuals have been tested as of January 7, 2020)
- Suspected Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children or MIS-C: 16
- Since the start of immunizations, over 46,259 people have been vaccinated (previously 41,064)
Common symptoms with COVID19 include fever/chills, persistent cough, loss of smell, and difficulty breathing. If symptoms appear call your health-care provider or 811 right away for further guidance. You can also check your symptoms online.
It is recommended that all non-essential travel continue to be avoided. This includes travel into and out of BC and between regions of the province. For example, British Columbians are asked not to travel for a vacation or visit friends or family outside of your household or core bubble.
From today’s written statement:
“Long-term care outbreaks have been at the forefront of our minds and our hearts since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Each day, more of our seniors and Elders who live in these homes, as well as the people who care for them, are protected with the vaccine.
“As new COVID-19 cases continue to emerge in communities throughout the province, we must all recommit to our efforts to slow down transmission.
“We can only do this through our collective commitment to stay local, only spend time with our immediate household outside of work or school, to respect one another by giving others the space to stay safe and ensuring we are wearing our masks in all indoor, public spaces.
“The provincial health officer’s orders on all gatherings and events will continue through to Feb. 5, 2021, at midnight. In addition to these orders, we also strongly recommend everyone limit their travel between communities and outside of the province unless it is absolutely essential for work or medical care.
“Most British Columbians have been doing their part, and we know it is frustrating when a few people put so many others at risk. Despite this, it is important to know your sustained efforts are saving lives. It will get us that much closer to the days without COVID-19.
“We all want our efforts to count and have an impact that will last. We will get through this and things will get better. Show your friends and neighbours they can count on you to make the right choices, every day, and together we will see brighter days once again.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 1,692 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 20, 2021 (3 days)
- 768 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 17, 2021
- 706 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 16, 2021
- 661 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 15, 2021
- 677 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 14, 2021
- 1,984 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 13, 2021 (3 days)
- 820 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 10, 2021
- 774 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 9, 2021
- 814 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 8, 2021
- 2,425 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 7, 2021 (4 days)
- 671 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 3, 2021
- 801 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 2, 2021
- 785 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 1, 2021
- 655 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 31, 2021 (includes video of today’s modelling)
- 1,853 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 30, 2021 (3 days)
- 867 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 27, 2021
- 724 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 26, 2021
- 698 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 25, 2021
- 641 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 24, 2021
- 1,711 new BC COVID-19 cases, 16 deaths, Aug 23, 2021 (3 days)
- 663 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 20, 2021
- 689 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, Aug 19, 2021
- 553 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 18, 2021
- 501 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 17, 2021
- 1,434 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 16, 2021 (3 days)
- 717 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, Aug 13, 2021
- 513 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 12, 2021
- 536 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 11, 2021
- 395 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, Aug 10, 2021
- 1,079 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Aug 9, 2021