As of Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021, 87.8% (4,068,060) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 80.6% (3,736,540) have received their second dose.
In addition, 88.3% (3,818,166) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 81.4% (3,521,271) have received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 652 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 185,432 cases in the province
Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.
There are 5,992 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 177,113 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 316 individuals are in hospital and 141 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Yesterday’s critical care COVID-19 confirmed census has been updated to 142 from 141 (update from Island Health).
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
- 219 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 2,249
- 70 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 903
- 162 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 1,176
- 117 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 929
- 82 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 677
- Two new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 58
In the past 24 hours, two new deaths (Island Health) have been reported, for an overall total of 1,942.
There have been three new outbreaks at Village by the Station (Island Health), Willingdon Care Centre (Fraser Health) and Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
One outbreak has been declared over at Fort St. John Hospital (Northern Health).
There is a total of 22 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care: Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Menno Terrace East, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens (Fraser Health), Arbutus Care Centre, Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health), Village at Mill Creek – second floor, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Kamloops Seniors Village, Hillside Village, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander (Interior Health), Wrinch Memorial Hospital, Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health), Village by the Station and Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health)
- acute care: none
- assisted or independent living: Sunset Manor, Hallmark on the Lake (Fraser Health), Hardy View Lodge (Interior Health), Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health)
When available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online:
From Sept. 20-26, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 72.2% of cases.
From Sept. 13-26, they accounted for 82.5% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 20-26) – Total 5,012
Not vaccinated: 3,263 (65.1%)
Partially vaccinated: 357 (7.1%)
Fully vaccinated: 1,392 (27.8%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 13-26) – Total 360
Not vaccinated: 269 (74.7%)
Partially vaccinated: 28 (7.8%)
Fully vaccinated: 63 (17.5%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 20-26)
Not vaccinated: 296.0
Partially vaccinated: 93.1
Fully vaccinated: 34.7
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 13-26)
Not vaccinated: 40.0
Partially vaccinated: 11.1
Fully vaccinated: 1.5
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 26.7 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,812,228 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
- To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
- To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
- For new health measures in the Northern Health region, visit: https://stories.northernhealth.ca/news/new-health-measures-introduced-northern-health-region
- For the Aug. 31, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/8-31_PHO_modelling.pdf
- For the provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
- For the Aug. 23, 2021, announcement on proof of vaccination in B.C., visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25211
- For the new provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
- For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
- For new health measures in the central Okanagan, visit:
- For information on breakthrough cases, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/7-27_breakthrough_cases.pdf
- Or see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
- Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
- To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated.html
- To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
- For recent modelling, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/6-28_PHO_presentation.pdf
- For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
- For guidance on restrictions, visit:
- The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/data-outbreaks
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures
Previous provincial updates
- 970 new BC COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths, Nov 29, 2021 (3 days)
- 341 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, Nov 26, 2021
- 424 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, Nov 25, 2021
- 322 new BC COVID-19 cases, 9 deaths, Nov 24, 2021
- 324 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Nov 23, 2021
- 1,052 new BC COVID-19 cases, 10 deaths, Nov 22, 2021 (3 days)
- 497 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, Nov 19, 2021
- 468 new BC COVID-19 cases, 9 deaths, Nov 18, 2021
- 324 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, Nov 17, 2021
- 338 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Nov 16, 2021
- 1,270 new BC COVID-19 cases, 16 deaths, Nov 15, 2021 (3 days)
- 992 new BC COVID-19 cases, 23 deaths, Nov 12, 2021 (2 days)
- 555 new BC COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths, Nov 10, 2021
- 500 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Nov 9, 2021
- 1,438 new BC COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths, Nov 8, 2021 (3 days)
- 549 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 deaths, Nov 5, 2021
- 596 new BC COVID-19 cases, 8 deaths, Nov 4, 2021
- 430 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, Nov 3, 2021
- 406 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Nov 2, 2021
- 1,375 new BC COVID-19 cases, 25 deaths, Nov 1, 2021 (3 days)