Since yesterday, there have been 682 more diagnosed COVID-19 cases in B.C., and 9,488 (was 9,333) cases are being actively monitored. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- Total cases in B.C. since the pandemic began: 93,253. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 229 new cases
- Fraser Health: 333 new cases
- Island Health: 19 new cases
- Interior Health: 76 new cases
- Northern Health: 23 new cases
- Active cases: 5,409 (previously 5,290)
- Hospitalized cases: 314 (previously 303)
- Intensive care: 83 (previously 80)
- 1 new deaths (total 1,438)
- Recovered: 86,307
There have been 144 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 1,510 cases. Of the total cases, 171 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 1,357 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 43 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 110 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
To date, 557,508 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,120 of which are second doses. Vaccine appointment bookings are open for people over age 82, adding one year each day this week for people 80 and older by the end of the week, along with Indigenous peoples over 65.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement
“Starting today, letters will be sent to people 16 and older who are clinically extremely vulnerable to severe illness from COVID-19 to let them know they are eligible to receive an earlier vaccine through the age-based immunization program.
“Significant work has been done to identify those health conditions that would cause someone to be clinically extremely vulnerable, as well as to identify the people in our province who have these illnesses.
“For many, knowing that COVID-19 would compound what are already serious illnesses has created added challenge and stress – concerns that will soon be relieved.
“In addition, the provincial health officer’s order on gatherings and events has been amended today to provide a variance for outdoor worship services.
“Worship service organizers must ensure COVID-19 safety plans are in place for all outdoor services and all attendees follow those plans. The full details are available on the provincial health officer’s web page.
“While we are immunizing more people every day, and in parallel slowly turning the dial on the restrictions we have in place, we must remember the risk for all of us remains high, particularly with indoor activities – whether for work or social reasons.
“As a result, to get through this storm and continue to protect our loved ones, we must all continue to use our safety layers and follow all of the public health restrictions we have in place.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 1,205 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 15, 2021 (includes modelling)
- 1,168 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 14, 2021
- 873 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 13, 2021
- 3,289 new BC COVID-19 cases, 18 deaths, April 12, 2021 (3 days)
- 1,262 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 9, 2021
- 1,293 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 8, 2021
- 997 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 7, 2021
- 1,068 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 6, 2021
- 1,889 new BC COVID-19 cases in the last two days, 23 death in the last four, as of April 5, 2021
- Two record days mean 2,090 new BC COVID-19 cases in BC, April 3, 2021
- 832 new BC COVID-19 cases and 5 deaths in BC, April 1, 2021
- With 1,013 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 31, 2021, BC surpasses 100,000 cases
- 840 new BC COVID-19 cases and no deaths in BC, March 30, 2021
- 2,518 new BC COVID-19 cases and 6 deaths in BC, March 29, 2021
- 908 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 26, 2021
- Yowza! 800 new BC COVID-19 cases and 5 deaths in BC, March 25, 2021
- 716 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 24, 2021
- 682 new BC COVID-19 cases and 1 death in BC, March 23, 2021
- 737 new BC COVID-19 cases and 16 deaths in BC, March 22, 2021 (3 days)
- Gah! 737 new BC COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths in BC, March 19, 2021
- 622 new BC COVID-19 cases and 8 deaths in BC, March 18, 2021
- Covid-19 vaccination update, March 18, 2021
- 498 new BC COVID-19 cases and 4 deaths in BC, March 17, 2021
- 556 new BC COVID-19 cases and 0 deaths in BC, March 16, 2021
- B.C’s first deployment of AstraZeneca vaccine in B.C.
- 1,506 new BC COVID-19 cases and 10 deaths in BC, March 15, 2021
- 648 new BC COVID-19 cases and 0 deaths in BC, March 12, 2021
- 569 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 11, 2021
- 531 new BC COVID-19 cases and 1 death in BC, March 10, 2021
- 550 new BC COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths in BC, March 9, 2021