Since yesterday, there have been 716 more diagnosed COVID-19 cases in B.C., and 9,696 (was 9,488) cases are being actively monitored. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- Total cases in B.C. since the pandemic began: 93,969. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 230 new cases
- Fraser Health: 383 new cases
- Island Health: 21 new cases
- Interior Health: 38 new cases
- Northern Health: 42 new cases
- Active cases: 5,573 (previously 5,409)
- Hospitalized cases: 303 (previously 314)
- Intensive care: 85 (previously 83)
- 3 new deaths (total 1,441)
- Recovered: 86,857
There have been 71 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 1,581 cases. Of the total cases, 148 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 1,397 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 44 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 140 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
To date, 582,634 (was 557,508) doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,180 of which are second doses. Vaccine appointment bookings are now open for people 76 or older, and Indigenous peoples over 55.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement
“Just as our COVID-19 pandemic response has required a ‘whole-of-province’ effort, so too does our COVID-19 immunization program.
“Together, hundreds of public health experts, physicians, nurses and other health-care professionals are leading the efforts to safely get vaccine into as many arms as possible, as quickly as we can.
“We have seen much progress in recent weeks. The timing for our age-based program has been accelerated, front-line workers will soon be immunized and now, people who are clinically extremely vulnerable with complex and challenging health conditions will also be able to get immunized.
“Starting next Monday, March 29, people who receive a clinically extremely vulnerable letter will also be able to book vaccine appointments.
“Today, Premier John Horgan announced that a new team of people from the tourism sector will be joining the age-based vaccination efforts to provide non-clinical support to our immunizations teams.
“There may be more hurdles or challenges ahead, but we can be assured knowing that our greatest strength throughout this pandemic has been working together, united in our focus to get through this storm. Let’s all be a part of the team that is helping to make a difference through our individual and collective efforts.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 1,205 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 15, 2021 (includes modelling)
- 1,168 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 14, 2021
- 873 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 13, 2021
- 3,289 new BC COVID-19 cases, 18 deaths, April 12, 2021 (3 days)
- 1,262 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 9, 2021
- 1,293 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 8, 2021
- 997 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 7, 2021
- 1,068 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 6, 2021
- 1,889 new BC COVID-19 cases in the last two days, 23 death in the last four, as of April 5, 2021
- Two record days mean 2,090 new BC COVID-19 cases in BC, April 3, 2021
- 832 new BC COVID-19 cases and 5 deaths in BC, April 1, 2021
- With 1,013 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 31, 2021, BC surpasses 100,000 cases
- 840 new BC COVID-19 cases and no deaths in BC, March 30, 2021
- 2,518 new BC COVID-19 cases and 6 deaths in BC, March 29, 2021
- 908 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 26, 2021
- Yowza! 800 new BC COVID-19 cases and 5 deaths in BC, March 25, 2021
- 716 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 24, 2021
- 682 new BC COVID-19 cases and 1 death in BC, March 23, 2021
- 737 new BC COVID-19 cases and 16 deaths in BC, March 22, 2021 (3 days)
- Gah! 737 new BC COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths in BC, March 19, 2021
- 622 new BC COVID-19 cases and 8 deaths in BC, March 18, 2021
- Covid-19 vaccination update, March 18, 2021
- 498 new BC COVID-19 cases and 4 deaths in BC, March 17, 2021
- 556 new BC COVID-19 cases and 0 deaths in BC, March 16, 2021
- B.C’s first deployment of AstraZeneca vaccine in B.C.
- 1,506 new BC COVID-19 cases and 10 deaths in BC, March 15, 2021
- 648 new BC COVID-19 cases and 0 deaths in BC, March 12, 2021
- 569 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 11, 2021
- 531 new BC COVID-19 cases and 1 death in BC, March 10, 2021
- 550 new BC COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths in BC, March 9, 2021