Since Friday, there have been 1,785 more diagnosed COVID-19 cases in B.C., and 9,333 cases are being actively monitored. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- from March 19 to 20, we had 556 new cases,
- from March 20 to 21 we had 598 new cases and
- in the last 24 hours, we had a further 631 new cases
- Total cases in B.C. since the pandemic began: 92,571. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 469 new cases
- Fraser Health: 1,010 new cases
- Island Health: 89 new cases
- Interior Health: 84 new cases
- Northern Health: 133 new cases
- Active cases: 5,290 (previously 5,207)
- Hospitalized cases: 303 (previously 292)
- Intensive care: 80 (previously 85)
- 16 new deaths (total 1,437)
- Recovered: 85,746
There have been 166 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 1,366 cases. Of the total cases, 237 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 1,240 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 41 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 85 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
To date, 539,408 (was 490,022) doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,120 of which are second doses. Vaccine appointment bookings are open for people over age 82, adding one year each day this week for people 80 and older by the end of the week, along with Indigenous peoples over 65.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From Mionday’s statement
“It is very important for everyone to understand that the risk for all of us remains high. COVID-19 did not go away with the time change or start of spring. While the number of people who are vaccinated has substantially increased, we do not yet have enough protection to keep all of us safe.
“We have seen an uptick in new cases and clusters of COVID-19 in the Lower Mainland. This is a concern for all of us because, as we have seen before, this increase can quickly escalate to other regions of our province.
“These escalating new cases reflect the transmission is in workplaces and indoor gatherings that contravene public health orders.
“Indoor gatherings – of any size – continue to be high risk. The only safe place for us to gather with our small groups of friends or family right now – with no more than 10 people – is outside.
“Grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins and friends are still at risk of severe illness. This means spring weddings, birthday parties or other occasions need to be pushed to summertime, when it will once again be far safer for us to spend time with others.
“Businesses need to continue to have robust COVID-19 safety plans and, as individuals, we need to continue to use our protective layers.
“The variants of concern are increasing and they transmit more easily, making it increasingly difficult to stop the spread. This means we all need to be slow and steady in our efforts.
“Let’s make spring the time to be outside and only in our small groups, taking the steps we need to keep each other and ourselves safe. Let’s push back on COVID-19, so we can continue on our path to the brighter days ahead.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 1,692 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 20, 2021 (3 days)
- 768 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 17, 2021
- 706 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 16, 2021
- 661 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 15, 2021
- 677 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 14, 2021
- 1,984 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 13, 2021 (3 days)
- 820 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 10, 2021
- 774 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 9, 2021
- 814 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 8, 2021
- 2,425 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 7, 2021 (4 days)
- 671 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 3, 2021
- 801 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 2, 2021
- 785 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 1, 2021
- 655 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 31, 2021 (includes video of today’s modelling)
- 1,853 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 30, 2021 (3 days)
- 867 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 27, 2021
- 724 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 26, 2021
- 698 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 25, 2021
- 641 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 24, 2021
- 1,711 new BC COVID-19 cases, 16 deaths, Aug 23, 2021 (3 days)
- 663 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 20, 2021
- 689 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, Aug 19, 2021
- 553 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 18, 2021
- 501 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 17, 2021
- 1,434 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 16, 2021 (3 days)
- 717 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, Aug 13, 2021
- 513 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 12, 2021
- 536 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 11, 2021
- 395 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, Aug 10, 2021
- 1,079 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Aug 9, 2021