Since yesterday, there have been 840 more diagnosed COVID-19 cases in B.C. and 11,164 cases are being actively monitored. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- Total cases in B.C. since the pandemic began: 98,165. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 265 new cases
- Fraser Health: 421 new cases
- Island Health: 39 new cases
- Interior Health: 67 new cases
- Northern Health: 46 new cases
- Active cases: 7,062
- Hospitalized cases: 312 (previously 299)
- Intensive care: 8 (previously 79)
- No new deaths (total 1,455)
- Recovered: 90,401 (previously 87,866)
There have been 320 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 2,553 cases. Of the total cases, 313 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 2,134 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 49 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 370 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
To date, 724,193 (was 699,092) doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,319 of which are second doses. Vaccine appointment bookings for age-based immunizations are now open for people 73 or older in all health authorities, and Indigenous peoples over 18.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement
“We have seen the start of exponential growth of COVID-19 cases. To stop this upward trend from continuing, we are taking the necessary steps to protect our communities and get back on the path we want and need to be on.
“We are asking people for your help – particularly over the next three weeks – to push our curve back down again. This means staying small, staying outside and staying with our same group of close contacts.
“This also means not travelling for leisure or vacation outside of our local communities or regions because the risk for all of us is too great right now.
“We understand that the upcoming important religious holidays are often a time when we would normally get together with others to celebrate. This year, we need to ensure we are celebrating safely, which means not travelling to other communities and postponing those family dinners until it is safe to be together indoors again. As this pandemic continues, we join faith congregations around the globe in celebrating these important holidays in a different way this year so we will all still be here when we can finally safely come together again.
“Today, on National Doctors’ Day, you can recognize the many doctors who have been on the front lines of our COVID-19 response by doing your part. You can do this by using all of your layers of protection and following the public health orders we have in place.
“Together, we can use this circuit breaker to slow the virus, protect more people with vaccines and allow us to continue to safely move forward.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 1,692 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 20, 2021 (3 days)
- 768 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 17, 2021
- 706 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 16, 2021
- 661 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 15, 2021
- 677 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 14, 2021
- 1,984 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 13, 2021 (3 days)
- 820 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 10, 2021
- 774 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 9, 2021
- 814 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 8, 2021
- 2,425 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 7, 2021 (4 days)
- 671 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 3, 2021
- 801 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 2, 2021
- 785 new BC COVID-19 cases, Sept 1, 2021
- 655 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 31, 2021 (includes video of today’s modelling)
- 1,853 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 30, 2021 (3 days)
- 867 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 27, 2021
- 724 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 26, 2021
- 698 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 25, 2021
- 641 new BC COVID-19 cases, Aug 24, 2021
- 1,711 new BC COVID-19 cases, 16 deaths, Aug 23, 2021 (3 days)
- 663 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 20, 2021
- 689 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, Aug 19, 2021
- 553 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 18, 2021
- 501 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 17, 2021
- 1,434 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1death, Aug 16, 2021 (3 days)
- 717 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, Aug 13, 2021
- 513 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 12, 2021
- 536 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Aug 11, 2021
- 395 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, Aug 10, 2021
- 1,079 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Aug 9, 2021