Since yesterday, there have been 873 new cases. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- The total of 113,702 cases in British Columbia to date. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 218 new cases
- Fraser Health: 512 new cases
- Island Health: 43 new cases
- Interior Health: 72 new cases
- Northern Health: 28 new cases
- Active cases: 9,756 (previously 9,937), with 16,290 (was 15,900) people under public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases.
- Hospitalized cases: 377 (previously 368)
- Intensive care: 116 (previously 121)
- 2 new deaths (total 1,515)
- Recovered: 102,268 (previously 101,2016)
There are currently 5,221 confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province. Of the total cases, 258 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 3,627 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 65 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 1,529 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant. This data will be updated weekly and included in the BC Centre for Disease Control’s COVID-19 weekly surveillance report.
To date, 1,148,993 (was 1,112,101) doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,785 of which are second doses.
People can register on the government website to get vaccinated. If you’re between the ages of 55 and 65, you can also contact your local pharmacy to register for the Astrazeneca vaccine.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement:
“We are adapting our vaccine delivery in step with our supply and will continue to do that moving forward. If needed, we will pivot, pause or shift our delivery to maximize protection to as many people as possible.
“Right now, the parallel worker program is focused on transmission hot spots – high-risk workplaces in our highest-risk communities. We are systematically working through the immunization of our first responders, school staff and child care workers in these communities, and in the coming weeks will expand into more communities as vaccine supplies allow.
“We are also steadily progressing through our age-based program, because we know it is those who are older who are most likely to have severe illness requiring care in hospital.
“Whether your appointment is next week or next month, the benefit for all of us is that with each person who receives their vaccine, we all have a little bit more protection.
“This week is National Laboratory Week. It is our time to thank the many, many people who are working in our laboratories to support our pandemic response. Let’s show our appreciation by staying close to home as much as possible and doing all we can to stop the spread of COVID-19.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 494 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, May 14, 2021
- 587 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, May 13, 2021
- 600 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 12, 2021
- 515 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, May 11, 2021
- 1,759 new BC COVID-19 cases, 20 deaths, May 8-10, 2021 (three days)
- 722 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, May 7, 2021
- 694 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 6, 2021
- 572 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, May 5, 2021
- 697 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, May 4, 2021
- 2,174 new BC COVID-19 cases, 15 death, May 3, 2021
- 740 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 death, April 30, 2021
- 874 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, April 29, 2021
- 841 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, April 28, 2021
- 799 new BC COVID-19 cases, no deaths, April 27, 2021
- 2,491 new BC COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths, April 26, 2021
- 1,001 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths, April 23, 2021
- 1,006 new BC COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths, April 22, 2021
- 862 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, April 20, 2021
- 849 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, April 20, 2021
- 2,960 new BC COVID-19 cases, 8 deaths (sadly recording youngest death in BC), April 19, 2021
- 1,005 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 16, 2021
- 1,205 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 15, 2021 (includes modelling)
- 1,168 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 14, 2021
- 873 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 13, 2021
- 3,289 new BC COVID-19 cases, 18 deaths, April 12, 2021 (3 days)
- 1,262 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 9, 2021
- 1,293 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 8, 2021
- 997 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 7, 2021
- 1,068 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 6, 2021
- 1,889 new BC COVID-19 cases in the last two days, 23 death in the last four, as of April 5, 2021