District of Sooke: Regular Council meeting, Monday, April 24, 2017
- Present: Ebony Logins, Rick Kasper, Kevin Pearson, Kerrie Reay, Bev Berger
- Absent: Brenda Parkinson (medical)
- The DRAFT Financial Statement – Dec 31, 2016 was received from KPMG Council received this document.
- Randy Clarkston (R. Clarkston Delegation Info) asked that Bylaw 404 (requiring properties on wells to have sprinklers installed) be rescinded. No other place in BC requires this of their residents. The CRD doesn’t require this. Clarkson estimates that it would cost each owner about $66,000 to comply. Staff was directed to look at that one component of Bylaw 404, section 4.0 to 4.5; in the interim, that section would not be enforced.
- Salt Water Series, Ron Neitsch 2017 Sooke Saltwater Series Sponsorship Info: Mr. Neitsch recieved $1,500 -sponsorship from the District of Sooke.
- Sooke Transition House Society, Arlene Rees & Rhonda Harris from Sooke Transition House presented on the Victim Services that they provide the Sooke RCMP. The Transition House currently receive $43,000 from the province and just over $8,000 from the District. This is not covering their costs. Staff will prepare a report with recommendations for the District. Since their Victim Services cover East Sooke to Port Renfrew, the CRD should be contributing a portion.
- 7.5. #DividedBy14, David Evans, Hwy14ByTheNumbers: Tait noted Highways have completed their report, but it hasn’t been received yet. It will probably come after the election. Councillors enthusiastically supported this initiative.
Public Question and Comment Period
- Terrence Martin: Parking for Kayakers on Whiffen Spit. Martin noted that Kayakers are also seen on Sooke River, Sunriver’s Edge Park. He wants to see Council address this. Staff added that this is a matter solely for the approving officer
- Ellen Lewers: Highway 14 issue, memorandum of understanding. Trimming on the road has been changed to 1.5 meters. Ellen notes this is 30 years that the plan has been there to put in a second road, but it’s never come. The space is there behind the 17 Mile House. Priorities have to come in order. “This has to be dealt with now. It’s serious.” Highways has to hear us. Council noted they are actively pushing access issues. Lewers agreed, it’s Highways that has to start listening.
- Jeff Bateman: Commended the Highway 14 group. Requested that Sooke PocketNews be considered for advertising. He said that Sooke should be actively discouraging gated communities. He also noted that the Salish Seas deadline to make it a World Heritage Site is Sunday, and there were typos on the harassment and bullying bylaw.
- Ellen Lewers followed up on the release of in-camera resolutions with the Prestige Hotel. What does the egress part for Wharf access mean? Tait says there’s a full public process that will now come forward.
Public Hearing on 7000 Melrick Place passed – Bylaw No. 663, Zoning Amendment Bylaw (600-35), PH Pkg. 1 Bylaw No 663 – 7000 Melrick: A bylaw to amend Bylaw No. 600, Sooke Zoning Bylaw, 2013 for the purpose of amending the zoning on the property located at 7000 Melrick to Rural Residential Zone (RU4).
- Staff presented an overview, and Tait read the standard statement.
- One person spoke at the hearing, Mark, who owns the adjacent lot. He wanted to know what is going on with the lot in question. He is okay with the rezoning, but he wants to protect his massive rock wall that aligns along the property. He owns 12 feet of that wall. Staff will look into it and follow up with him.
- Third reading was moved and passed.
Lot A Rezoning application goes to public hearing: Bylaw: 6671 Wadams Way – Rezoning Application, 6671 Wadams Way – Rezoning Application – Pdf (This is the property held by Council, Lot A).
- First reading, second reading passed. A public hearing will be scheduled.
2017 Property rate set: 2017 Property Tax Rate Bylaw – Pdf
- Rates were in a Supplemental, not available to remote viewers. Taxes will increase between 5.58 and 5.59 per cent this year. First, second and third readings were passed unanimously.
- Various elected officials were assigned to various Liaison roles. Other organization appointments were deferred to next meeting, staff was asked to include meeting days and times to make sign-ups more meaningful.
Communities in Bloom membership renewed, participation for 2018
- Staff report is outstanding and was included in the supplemental (not available to remote viewers at this time), and there is no budget approved for this event. It is in the budget for participation in 2018 and 2020. Mayor Tait noted a Task Force might need to be created for the 2018 event.
- This is the last year of the 10-year cycle. Ten years is the maximum a cycle can be. There has only been one issue in 10 years (when the Salvation Army closed their shop), and then it was about the landlord, and not the organization. That was eventually sorted out by staff. So, the system currently is working. The policy was adopted as amended.
DRAFT Anti-Bullying & Harassment Policy – Pdf received
This document was received by Council, with the request that changes from the original policy (last updated in 2014) be tracked and noted. Staff noted that many changes were driven by information from Work Safe BC. This document is quite a different document, so the tracking will look quite onerous. Tonight’s intent was to receive the document for information, not for deliberation and/or input. It would come back at a later date. Pearson noted that the CAO is responsible for everything, and he asked, What happens if the CAO is being investigated? Staff noted the complaint would then go to the mayor.
Tait was concerned about section 5.0.2: “If District’s staff are being bullied and harassed against by non-District employees such as members of the public, contractors, consultants, and delivery or service people – the District is obligated to respond.” Document was formally received. It will be revised by staff before it is presented to Council for adoption.
- Email regarding kayaks at Whiffen Spit: April 11 2017 SISKA Parking for Kayaks and April 11 2017 Kayaks Jennifer and April 11 2017 Kayaks Debbie
Logins noted that they just received correspondence from people representing one side of the story. Staff said they have received complaints, and the RCMP have been involved. Kayakers park there for several hours. Messages have been secured to cars using rocks. They don’t want to prohibit anything, but they do want to look into it further. Kasper noted that kayaks on a trailer have no where to park. Getting in and out of that parking area is limited, and there is no room to expand. Staff will be coming back with another report. Emails received.
Discussed from the other correspondence were:
- Primary Health Working Group from the Ministry of Health. The mayor was inquiring about rural status, as that impacts medical services in Sooke. This will be actively pursued again when there is a new minister of Health, and the current one is retiring.
- Salish Seas Trust Campaign: Email from Salish Sea Trust regarding request to support the Salish Sea UNESCO World Heritage Site application
- Navy League: There was a request for sponsorship Sooke Branch-Navy League of Canada for $80. Passed.
- Advertising: Logins thanked SPN for spending $288 out of pocket for the health services in Sooke survey, and made a motion that SPN be considered for inclusion in the District’s advertising budget. The survey results prove how many people are engaging with SPN, and this would go with the communications strategy. Tait asked for a seconder. After an awkward silence, Tait seconded it. Kasper put forward another motion to defer decision until a time that staff come back with a communications plan. Motion deferred.
- Supplemental: Letter from Mid America Venture Capital Corp, asking for a 10-year stay on taxes. This involves a development happening between Gatewood, Eustace, and West Coast Road. They want to stay at Rural Residential although they will be rezoning to Commercial. No exemption granted. Motion made to receive the letter and have staff respond.
Information from various verbal reports
- Reminder that Rotary was on Saturday.
- Four volunteers were recognized last week.
- All candidates meeting happens on Tuesday.
- UBCM Conference is in Vancouver.
- SEAPARC Golf Course opens on Wednesday.
- Tour de Rock has an opening ceremony at EMCS in a couple of weeks, 11:30 -12:15 on Friday May 5.
Report of Released in-camera resolutions: The following resolutions from the In-Camera portion of the March 27, 2017 Regular Meeting of Council, were released for public information:
- THAT Council direct staff to execute the amended Use, Management and Maintenance Agreement dated March 23, 2017, between the District and the Sooke Horseshoe Pitching Association, for a three-year period.
- THAT Council authorize the District’s signatories to sign the Licence of Occupation agreement with Prestige Holdings Ltd., for the purpose of permitting access to and egress from Aquatic Lands described as District Lots 236 and 237 Sooke District.
- THAT Council direct staff to execute a contract with the Capital Regional District for the provision of Animal Control Services for a six-month term, effective April 1, 2017 at the current cost of $6,786.50 per month.
Motion to close the meeting to the public: THAT this meeting be closed to the public under section 90(1)(a) and (d) of the Community Charter to discuss items pertaining to labour and land.