Now in its second year, BCAA Play Here, a multi-year community investment initiative will provide $300,000 to rejuvenate play spaces in B.C. communities to give kids better places to play and learn. This year, BCAA has increased the number of winners to three: each will receive a revitalized play space worth up to $100,000.
“Having a great place to play is such an important part of a fun and educational childhood,” says Shom Sen, BCAA president & CEO. “The incredible response to last year’s program shows how much need there is across B.C. for better places for kids to play and learn, and BCAA is excited to increase our total contribution to $300,000 and adding more winners.”
Last year, community groups nominated over 530 play spaces across the province in need of revitalization and British Columbians cast over 300,000 votes to decide the winners. Today, children in Lillooet and Victoria’s Torquay Elementary School enjoy vibrant new play spaces worth $100,000 each while communities in Burnaby, Crawford Bay and Vancouver received $20,000 each as runners-ups, to put towards making their planned play projects a reality.
“BCAA Play Here is for any space—indoor or outdoor—such as a playground, music room, after-school study area, sports or activities space,” says Shawn Pettipas, BCAA’s Senior Manager, Community Impact who leads Play Here. “Any place where kids can spend their time and develop valuable life skills, we want to hear about how it can be improved. We encourage communities to submit their nominations at bcaaplayhere.com by April 13.”
How does Play Here work?
- Nominate. Non-profit community groups can nominate a play space in need at bcaaplayhere.com. B.C. residents are encouraged to contact their local non-profit community groups about a play area they’d like to nominate.
- Eligibility. You can nominate any play space in the province that needs rejuvenation. Examples include: an outdoor or indoor place space such as a playground, park, community garden, music room or after-school study area.
- Finalists. A panel of judges shortlist nominations and present 10 finalists for online voting.
- Public votes. Winners will be the top three with the most verified votes.
BCAA Play Here nominations and finalists will be seen online at bcaaplayhere.com and the three winning projects will be announced at the end of June.
Important 2017 Play Here dates:
- Nominate: March 20 to April 13
- Judging: April 14 to May 19
- Top 10 Finalists announced: May 22
- Public vote: May 22 to June 18
- Winners announced: June 23
The most trusted organization in British Columbia by its Members, BCAA serves 1 in 3 B.C. households with industry-leading products including home, auto and travel insurance, roadside assistance, Evo Car Share and full auto service at BCAA’s Auto Service Centres. BCAA has a long history focused on keeping kids safe on the road and at play through community programs such as its School Safety Patrol, Community Child Car Seat Program and most recently, BCAA Play Here which, in its first year, provided $260,000 to revitalize kids’ play spaces in B.C. Please visit bcaa.com.