Spirit of Vancouver Island returns to service April 18
Hop on board with BC Ferries this Easter long weekend and take advantage of additional sailings and BC Ferries’ Vacations packages.
From April 18 to 23, 89 extra sailings are scheduled on three routes which link Metro Vancouver with Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast.
- 70 extra sailings are scheduled on the Vancouver – Victoria route (Tsawwassen – Swartz Bay), the most popular route in the fleet
- 11 extra sailings are scheduled on the Vancouver – Nanaimo route (Horseshoe Bay – Departure Bay)
- 8 extra sailings are scheduled on the Vancouver – Sunshine Coast route (Horseshoe Bay – Langdale)
Just in time for the Easter long weekend, the Spirit of Vancouver Island returns to service following a successful mid-life upgrade, which included a conversion from diesel to liquefied natural gas (LNG), as well as improvements to navigation equipment and on-board amenities. The vessel will begin sailing between Metro Vancouver (Tsawwassen) and Victoria (Swartz Bay) on April 18.
The most popular travel times are expected to be Thursday evening to Friday morning, and Monday afternoon. Full sailing schedules are available online at bcferries.com. We recommend travellers make a vehicle reservation during this popular travel weekend to guarantee the sailing time of their choice. To expedite the check-in process, we ask customers with reservations to inform ticket agents of their booking upon arrival.
Customers who plan to travel on the Vancouver – Nanaimo route (Horseshoe Bay – Departure Bay), Vancouver – Sunshine Coast route (Horseshoe Bay – Langdale), or the Earls Cove – Saltery Bay route, are advised to check sailing schedules posted online at bcferries.com, as regular sailing times have been changed for the long weekend.
Customers planning a getaway this Easter weekend can arrange their retreat with BC Ferries Vacations. Packages to Victoria and Vancouver include ferry travel, hotel accommodation, complimentary room upgrades, and more. Visit bcferries.com/vacations or drop by the BC Ferries Vacations Centre in downtown Vancouver at 1010 Canada Place.
Long Weekend Travel Tips
- Book in advance – BC Ferries encourages customers to reserve early to guarantee a spot on the sailing time of their choice. Customers with flexibility in their schedules can travel at off-peak times to avoid the rush. Reservations start at just $10 when booked 7 days in advance. Book online at bcferries.com or by phone, 1-888-BCFERRY (1-888-223-3779).
- Arrive early – BC Ferries encourages customers with advance bookings to arrive at the terminal 30-60 minutes before their scheduled departure. We recommend walk-on passengers arrive 45 minutes early for their anticipated sailing. Non-reserved vehicle traffic may experience higher volumes at peak times. Please refer to the current conditions section of our website and plan accordingly.
- Consider parking options – Parking lots at the major terminals tend to fill up quickly over the Easter long weekend. If possible, travellers are advised to take public transit or arrange to be dropped off at the terminal to avoid traffic congestion. When parking lots fill up, BC Ferries informs customers via Twitter @BCFerries and on our website.