-NDP media release (pictured is John Horgan, NDP candidate, incumbent, for this region).
Christy Clark seems to think a few repackaged promises can wipe the slate clean, but British Columbians will not forget her record.
British Columbians remember that after the last campaign she gave millionaires a billion dollar tax break and left the rest of us to pay for it through higher fees and extra costs.
“Christy Clark has left families falling further behind while looking out for herself and her rich donors,” said John Horgan, BC NDP Leader. “Instead of taking real action to support British Columbians today, she chose to continue her billion dollar giveaway to the top 2%. It’s time for leadership that works for British Columbians by eliminating tolls, freezing Hydro rates, and creating good jobs in every corner of the province.”
Unfortunately, Clark’s platform will mean costs for families continue to skyrocket while the people at the very top are let off the hook. Here are some of the highlights:
- Her platform maintains the billion dollar giveaway to the top 2%.
- The Liberals doubled MSP premiums over the past sixteen years and think people will be impressed by promising to give half of it back.
- Instead of investing in making childcare affordable for BC families, Clark is mostly trying to take credit for federal action.
- The platform does nothing to address the out-of-control housing market that has left so many British Columbians without an affordable place to live.
- No plan to address wages that aren’t keeping pace with rising costs and record household debt.
Perhaps Christy Clark will have more to offer tonight when she sits down with the people she really works for: wealthy donors paying $10,000 at her latest fundraiser.
Juan de Fuca / Langford candidates In alphabetical order by last name, the candidates for this region are:
- Scott Burton Libertarian Party
- John Horgan, BC NDP (incumbant)
- William Nelson, Vancouver Island Party
- Cathy Noel, BC Liberal Party
- Brendan Ralfs, B.C. Green Party
- Ceremony swears in the new Premier of BC (with a T’Sou-ke presence)
- BREAKING: BC has a new premier!
- Christy Clark’s meeting wraps up with the Lieutenant Governor, no decision made
- The BC Government has been toppled
- Throne Speech: BC Liberals adopt a center social stance
- NDP’s John Horgan responds to the Throne Speech: She’ll say anything to hang on to power
- Green’s Andrew Weaver responds to the Throne Speech: Astonishing about-face
- Horgan and Weaver maintain Clark’s political “games” are hurting British Columbians
- Premier Christy Clark introduces new Executive Council
- BC Government resumes on June 22
- B.C. New Democrat and B.C. Green caucuses ratify historic agreement
- Clark will put confidence to the vote in June, and let the transfer of power be a public one
- B.C. Greens will support a new BC New Democrat government
- NDP and Greens announce an agreement, intending to form government in BC for the next four years
- Statements from Christy Clark, John Horgan, and Andrew Weaver
- Election results are in!
- BC Elections update: May 24, 1:00 pm
- Election results still inconclusive, May 23
- Election results should be known after May 24
- Preliminary election turn-out estimated at 60%
- POLL: What are your top three election issues?
- ICYMI: Leadership Debate March 26 2017 (Video)
- Election 2017: Sooke’s All-Candidate Debate
- VIDEO: Provincial Election 2017 Leadership Debate
- Election May 9, 2017: Where and how to vote
- Green Party releases their affordable homes strategy
- Is electoral reform on the BC horizon?
- Sooke Chamber launches 2017 Provincial General Election Information Series
- BC NDP response to Liberal platform: Christy Clark’s platform maintains giveaways to rich donors, rising costs for families
- BC Liberals launch their platform