BC SPCA summer camps will return this July and August for another season of animal-themed fun and learning, at 24 locations province-wide, with Victoria being the closest camp to Sooke.
How do BC SPCA summer camps differ from some other camps offered throughout B.C.?
Paula Neuman, humane education manager, explains that while camp activities are based in play, all are specially-designed to teach kids about animals and integrate the practise of empathy and critical thinking skills.
“Camp activities are meant to fun and engaging for the kids, of course, but they all aim to educate, as well,” she says.
One of the biggest draws of BC SPCA camps for kids is time spent with animals. While this makes up only a portion of camp time, parents have reported on camp evaluations that their children are calmer and kinder after time working with animals.
“The empathy skills the kids practise during these animal encounters, thinking about how the animals feel, really do have a way of spreading into their behaviours at home,” notes Neuman.
To avoid disappointment, parents are urged to register their children as soon as possible.
Registration is open now for all camps. For Victoria, the camp will be held at the 3150 Napier Lane location.
- July 3-6: for kids born 2011-2012
- July 9-13: for kids born 2007-2010 – FULL
- July 16-20: for kids born 2007-2010 – FULL
- July 23-27: for kids born 2007-2010
- July 30-August 3: for kids born 2007-2010
- August 7-10: for kids born 2011-2012 / for kids born 2005-2006*
- August 13-17: for kids born 2007-2010
- August 20-24: for kids born 2007-2010
* Leadership camp registration for youth born 2005-2006 is done through a selection process. An application must be submitted through our online registration system and then 6-10 applicants will be selected and given the opportunity to register for the camp.
Additional locations planning to hold camps will open for registration at a later date, subject to funding. Visit spca.bc.ca/camp for more information and to be directed to registration information by region.