The following comes from a post on social media and is reprinted with permission. For information on animal safety, read Cougar Season (animal variety) –SPN
My daughter and I went to Karaoke at the Legion on Friday night, and she sang some wonderful songs. It was dark out when we left and drove home.
We parked the car and walked towards our house in Saseenos, talking and joking with each other about bears and cougars. I chose to take the long way to our front door staying in the light and we walked up to the path towards our front door. On our front door we have one of those lights that come on automatically.
When we were in range, the light turned on and … right in front of us was a cougar. Right there, right in front of my daughter.
My brain could not register that it was a cougar, so I put my arm out grabbed my daughter and put her behind me. I then said, “It’s okay puppy, stay right there,” and we slowly backed up.
“Good puppy,” I said keeping my eyes on it. It just stood there staring at us.
We live in a townhouse, and we backed up until we made it to the neighbor’s house and banged on the door. My daughter was terrified, thinking we are going to die because there is a cougar out here. I was still thinking Dog; a cougar could not register in my mind.
The neighbors let us in and I called my husband who got a light and a knife. He opened the door to see the cougar in the crouched position by our RV. Like it was hunting. Definitely was a cougar because it had a really, really long tail. My husband said it went to our neighbors yard where there is dense brush.
- Five cougar sightings near Royal Roads, April 24 & 25 2019
- Sooke cougar spotting prompts Wild Wise reminder
- CRD issues Cougar Sighting Warning for East Sooke Park near Anderson Cove
- Matheson Lake Cougar caught on video in East Sooke, April 2017
- A close encounter of the cougar kind
- Cougar safety tips from Ladysmith and Take5NewsTV
- Destroyed cougar attempted to enter a home, met human confrontation with aggression
- Cougar destroyed on Grant Rd
- Cougar Season (animal variety)
- Cougar alert for Whiffin Spit and area
- Cougar spotted by Sooke Chevron
- Cougar sightings trigger these tips from Wild Wise Sooke
- Cougar video, Sheringham Point Rd
- More cougar cautions for Sooke Potholes hiking area
- The Wild Wise Sooke website is your local wildlife information resource
- Cougar sightings in Sooke, a second take
- Cougar sightings in Sooke