(photo is of a young Landen Alexa, before the pain)
Save these dates: February 10, February 14, and March 3 2018
By now everyone has probably heard about 6-year-old Landen Alexa and his mom Jillian. Landen has Systemic JIA and Jillian has been getting media attention because the treatment that her son desperately needs would cost her a staggering $19,000/month. This amount would have to be paid out-of-pocket since the government will not cover it.
Here’s what the community has going on:
On Saturday, February 10, there will be “Love for Landen” candygrams being sold outside local businesses in Sooke by many volunteers in the community.
For Valentine’s Day you can order a Singing Telegrams by donation. Your Valentine will not only receive a Singing Telegram from a talented musician but will also receive a sweet treat from Sweet Escapes (local Sooke business) – email firstname.lastname@example.org to order.
Lastly, on March 3, there is a HUGE fundraising event to benefit Landen. Coordinated by Margaret Ayres, a group of volunteers are coming together at the Sooke Community Hall for TWO events:
10am – 5pm there is a Family Carnival Benefit & Silent Auction.
Bring the kids & your Loonies, Toonies and Quarters!
- Admission is by donation
- All games activities inside will cost a Loonie, Toonie or quarters!
- All proceeds will go to Landen Alexa
- There will be Bouncy Castles, A magician, live DJ, Photo Booth, and many games to play
- Ongoing silent auction during the event.
That night there is an Adult Dance Benefit with the band SuperSauce
- Doors open at 8:30pm and the band starts at 9pm
- Tickets are $10 in advance & $15 at the door
- Advance tickets can be purchased at The Stick in the Mud & Shoppers in Sooke
- All proceeds will go to Landen Alexa’s treatment
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Come out, have some fun and support a great cause!!
Sooke is not a community that will stand by and see one of our children suffer. We are here for Landen, Jillian, and their family. They are not alone – they have a whole community around them!
A donation can be made at any Coast Capital Savings branch. Just tell them you want to make a donation in trust for Landen Alexa.
There is also a GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/landens-fight-for-canakinumab
- Where BC Pharmacare fails, community of Sooke delivers: Over $23,000 raised for Landen
- CHEK News: Supporters say Sooke boy is being treated unfairly (Video)
- Aldergrove girl with Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (SJIA) to receive Pharmacare coverage for Canakinumab
- Community rallies for local Sooke boy: Three other ways to
- Benefit concert “Remembering John” raises funds for Landen
- Collapsed veins means Landen could not get his treatment today
- Video: Mother of sick child confronts BC Minister of Health
- Premier stands by minister’s decision to deny Landen quality of life medication
- Open Letter: Mom requests reason for Pharmacare’s decision to deny a child effective pain meds
- A mother’s fight for her son’s pain relief continues, no end in sight
- OPEN LETTER #2: Horgan, Landen is back in the hospital. We haven’t heard from you yet.
- Video: Landen’s journey so far, and his fight for BC PharmaCare funding for canakinumab
- GoFundMe: Landen’s fight for canakinumab
- LETTER Sooke mom pleads for Horgan to hear: her child requires meds they can’t afford and Pharmacare doesn’t cover