Move over eHarmony, Tinder, and Ashley Madison – there’s a new website in town! And this one promises your ‘date’ will end with you sweaty, exhausted, and chomping at the bite for more! Picture this – you’ve just moved to a new city, and don’t have a clue where to find someone to spot you on a new PR on the bench, or you desperately need someone to hold you accountable in the gym but won’t pay for a disgustingly bubbly personal trainer. Have no fear, Fitlink.com is here! This website works much like a dating site; pairing users based on geographical location, goals, activities, and motivation levels. This is one of many websites and Apps focusing on the value of a workout buddy. Fitness is becoming a increasingly social activity, and successful gyms know their bottom line depends on a supporting community and friendly atmosphere within their walls.[sam id=”15″ codes=”true”]Our little community in Sooke is very blessed to have a plethora of options to get your sweat on – each with their own flavour and rad group of regulars. Sooke Fitness, Speed Source, Otter Point Crossfit, Hot Momma Fitness, Jazzercise, Sooke Yoga – just to name a few! And within each of these locations you’ll find people working together, sharing scoops of protein powder, and reminding the Trainer if her gym shirt needs an extra strong detergent. But remember, the most important piece of ‘equipment’ is your workout buddy! So what exactly makes a top-notch workout buddy anyway? Picture this…
- It’s 7:30pm. The lucky utility pole on Sooke Rd has been struck a third time. You’ve spent two hours driving the last seven kilometres home. Once through your front door you fall into a heap on the couch, ready to crack open a Lucky. Your phone buzzes with a text that reads “IF YOU ARE NOT HERE, WITH LACED UP RUNNING SHOES, IN 10 MINUTES I AM TOLIET PAPERING YOUR TRUCK!” Even when you absolutely don’t feel like training, a buddy will keep you accountable, even if that means threatening you.
- You’ve drank three servings of pre-workout, completed your foam rolling, and finished your warm-up sets. Today, you WILL hit a new personal record in bench press. As you set your hands on the bar, you nod to your workout buddy. Buddy knows not to touch the bar when it’s moving concentrically, not to rob you if you shake through a rep, but to grab the bar before you decapitate yourself.
- The sun is shining, tide is low, and the beach is calling – and you just can’t justify being in a gym. There are some phenomenal buddy-based workouts out there, and most focus around exercises using only bodyweight and high intensity intervals. Movements like push-ups and plan can easily be intensified when your workout buddy is sitting across your back, laughing and encouraging you to squeeze out one more rep. Fitness is FUN! And sharing that with a buddy can be a wonderful reminder that it is possible to smile and sweat at the same time.
Sweat, laugh, repeat,
Other fitness columns on SPN
- Health: Step into spring (and put spring in your step) with this DIY green power juice
- Health and Fitness: Reiki 101
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: When life hands you lemons — drink up!
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: Time is going to pass—slow down and enjoy it!
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer : What’s Your Body-type Potential?
- Confession of a Personal Trainer: Correct, and Redirect
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: Take back the yoga, and do the downward dog wearing sweats
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: Bears have it made
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: What your “gym hair” says about you
- Grants encourage girls and women to stay active
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: “Rest is Required”
- Is a digital signature valid for my gym contract?
- How to Stay Motivated: Meet Your Goals For the Year
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: “Walking Fido for Fitness”
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: True or False, “All fat in your diet is bad”
- Confessions of a Personal Trainer: Tackling the (female) fitness fear, “If I lift weights, I’ll get bulky”