Did you know that the District of Sooke has an interactive property tax calculator that allows residents to see the estimated municipal portion (approximately 42% of total taxes collected) of their property taxes for 2019 and the ways in which these funds are used?
We’ve recently updated the calculator for 2019 using the DRAFT 2019-2023 Five Year Financial Plan (which, by the way, was also the final approved plan).
By entering the assessed value of your home, the property tax calculator will show an estimate of how your 2019 tax dollars will be allocated to services such as policing, fire protection, parks maintenance, and capital projects.
Hypothetical scenario, using Sooke’s 2019 municipal taxes calculator:
- Assessed property value: $500,000
- Estimated Municipal Tax Portion: $1,375.00, with your contributions broken down into the bigger categories as follows:
- Police Services: $272.25
- Sooke Fire Rescue: $203.50
- Bylaw Services: $48.13
- Building Inspection: $72.88
- Corporate Services: $74.25
- Financial Services: $107.25
- Planning, subdivision and engineering: $279.13
- Parks: $111.38
- Capital projects: $17.88
- Note that the CRD, school board and others add additional taxes to your municipal tax bill.
The impact of increased or decreased funding to each service area is also outlined, creating a glimpse into the process of municipal budgeting.
To see how your taxes are calculated, read this 2018 SPN article.
- April 23 Council meeting approves budget, tax rates, and more (overview)
- District hosts open house to discuss the budget
- How property taxes are calculated