The CRD posted the following alert on March 16, 2016.
03.08.16 Cougar warning in Sea to Sea Regional Park Reserve
BC Conservation Officers are advising visitors of a cougar of concern near Grass, Shields & Peden Lakes. Use caution and travel in groups. Report sightings on RAPP line at 1-877-952-7277.
Please note that bear season is also beginning. There have been two in-town bear sightings, one near Francis at McMillan (see picture below), and the other near Henlyn, just off Grant Road near West Coast Rd.
Now might be a good time to review the many bear-slash-attractant articles SPN published in 2015. There’s no time like the present to begin bear-proofing the living quarters in your vicinity.
[sam id=”23″ codes=”true”]
- CRD Alerts
- Wildlife Alert Reporting Program (WARP – WildSafeBC)
- CRD Regional Parks map for Sooke Potholes
- Hiking information, for Shields Lake via Grass Lake, via Harrison Trail
- Bear conflicts are on the rise
- Cougar sightings trigger these tips from Wild Wise Sooke
- Cougar video, Sheringham Point Rd
- Found a newborn fawn? Before you move it, read this!
- First bear destroyed, Wild Wise Sooke urges education
- More cougar cautions for Sooke Potholes hiking area
- Cougar sighting near Peden Lake (Sooke Potholes region)
- Public Advisory from Wild Wise Sooke: Bears are being habituated in Sooke
- Bear sightings are up in Sooke
- UPDATED Aug 13 8:22 pm – Marine Circle Route closed due to fire east of Port Renfrew
- Wild Wise Sooke issues dire warning: clean up your trash or see more bear conflicts
- Preparing for hibernation season in bear country
- Preparation for hibernation puts bears on a massive calorie intake search
- Want fewer bears put down? Manage your garbage, pick your fruit!
- Increased bear sightings, what you need to know, and how to keep bears alive
- Bear sightings at Potholes, between parking lots 3 and 2
- Black bear wants some water play in Sunriver
- A sure sign of spring for residents of Sooke is the return of bears.
- Bear in Area signs emerge from hibernation
- Wild Wise Sooke presents falling numbers in Sooke
- Five cougar sightings near Royal Roads, April 24 & 25 2019
- Sooke cougar spotting prompts Wild Wise reminder
- CRD issues Cougar Sighting Warning for East Sooke Park near Anderson Cove
- Matheson Lake Cougar caught on video in East Sooke, April 2017
- A close encounter of the cougar kind
- Cougar safety tips from Ladysmith and Take5NewsTV
- Destroyed cougar attempted to enter a home, met human confrontation with aggression
- Cougar destroyed on Grant Rd
- Cougar Season (animal variety)
- Cougar alert for Whiffin Spit and area