from the Conservation Officer Service
A man was walking his medium sized dog near Pedan Lake in Sea to Sea Regional Park at the end of February when a cougar jumped on the dog’s back. The cougar took off when the man swung his back pack at it; the dog was not injured.
On Sunday March 6th, a woman encountered a cougar near Grass Lake also in Sea to Sea Regional Park. It stared at her for a while, then slowly walked away after she yelled and threw a stick at it. A few minutes later she realized it was following her down the trail. She yelled and screamed at the cougar and it eventually took off.
Conservation Officers are searching for the cougar today and will be monitoring for future incidents.
Safety advice…don’t run or turn your back, make yourself look as big as possible, stick together in groups, have pepper spray.
Use caution if hiking in this area – this cougar poses a moderate risk to public safety based on the behaviours exhibited.
Cougars are normally shy and tend to stay away from people, but some young cougars are known to be curious when encountering people – could be the case with this cougar.
Call RAPP line if encountering aggressive cougars.
[sam id=”14″ codes=”true”]
- Dial Toll Free 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP)
- RAPP online form
- Conservation Officer Service
- WildSafe BC (mapped current sightings of wildlife)
- Sooke Potholes CRD Map
- Grass Lake on a Google Map
Other past wildlife posts on SPN (2015)
- Bear conflicts are on the rise
- Cougar sightings trigger these tips from Wild Wise Sooke
- Cougar video, Sheringham Point Rd
- Found a newborn fawn? Before you move it, read this!
- First bear destroyed, Wild Wise Sooke urges education
- More cougar cautions for Sooke Potholes hiking area
- Cougar sighting near Peden Lake (Sooke Potholes region)
- Public Advisory from Wild Wise Sooke: Bears are being habituated in Sooke
- Bear sightings are up in Sooke
- UPDATED Aug 13 8:22 pm – Marine Circle Route closed due to fire east of Port Renfrew
- Bear-proofing your yard for autumn in Sooke
- The Wild Wise Sooke website is your local wildlife information resource
- BC RCMP issue reminder about bear safety
- Bear killed near Francis Gardens in Sooke
- Cougar sightings in Sooke, a second take
- Cougar sightings in Sooke
- Spring into … Preparing for Bears
- Living harmoniously with wild life in Sooke is the primary objective of the newly established “Wild Wise Sooke”