The following text and photos come from Sooke photojournalist Gregory Varano, sent to SPN on March 25, 2020.
The Canada Post Centre at 6736 Sooke Rd, now has reduced hours, Monday thru Friday 10am-4pm, Saturday 9am until 12:30pm.
Many of our local Parks have been closed as per the Provinces mandate. Two of Sooke’s most popular, The Wiffen Spit and Ed Macgregor Park are not exempt as the photos show. Park closures are ongoing.
The District staff in the photo is mounting a new closure sign at Woodland Creek Park located on Callumwood Lane, a popular park for young families to have some playtime with their children is now closed.
Park apparatus are also being taped up to make sure they are off limits for the time being.
Some local parks are still open, Sooke Sk8 Park at Throup Rd & Journey Middle School Lane still hasn’t been shut down.
- COVID-19 updates – New Sooke business information webpage, additional park closures and SD62 announcement, March 30, 2020
- COVID-19: Weekly address from Mayor Maja Tait, March 30, 2020
- Sooke’s ARTiFACTS Show is still on … online!
- What about our pets? Are they affected by COVID-19? G. Varano checks it out
- Sooke Fine Arts Society considers virtual Fine Arts Show for 2020
- COVID-19 and Sooke in photos, by Gregory Varano
- Open Burning now prohibited within Sooke – provincial powers under state of emergency
- Bosley’s in Sooke offers free, no-contact delivery from Metchosin to Port Renfrew
- Province closing certain parks, recreation areas
- District of Sooke closes parks and playgrounds effective March 25, 2020
- COVID-19: Provincial statistical update (86 new cases), March 30, 2020
- COVID-19: Federal update expands on supports coming for businesses, March 30, 2020
- Federal support for vulnerable Canadians affected by COVID-19 – March 25, 2020
- BC broadens scope of high tech use for healthcare workers and public-sector staff
- Guidance to retail food and grocery stores operating during COVID-19 – March 29, 2020
- COVID-19 Federal Update announces new funding for vulnerable population, March 29, 2020
- COVID-19: BC Statistical update (92 new cases), new orders – March 28, 2020
- COVID-19 Federal Update, March 28, 2020
- Be wary of scams claiming to prevent, treat or cure COVID-19
- Poll: Canadian political leaders receive top marks for the job they are doing in this crisis
- COVID-19: Daily statistical update for BC, March 27
- COVID-19: BC update on modelling
- BC Farmers’ Markets Online opening soon
- COVID-19: Federal government announces 75% payroll subsidy, March 27, 2020
- COVID-19: BC Statistical Update – March 26, 2020
- New provincial orders support COVID-19 response: DETAILS
- COVID-19: Update announcing new provincial orders, March 26, 2020
- COVID-19: Federal Update, March 26, 2020
- COVID-19: March 25 provincial update
- BC announces temporary financial payments to landlords to supplement tenants rents
- Government introduces Canada Emergency Response Benefit to help workers and businesses
- COVID-19 Angus Reid Survey: Those least equipped to endure economic downturn bearing the brunt of layoffs
- COVID-19: $82B support to most Canadians passed by House – March 25, 2020
- Epidemic curve, confirmed COVID-19 cases in BC by episode date January 1-March 24, 2020 (N=607*)
- Increasing hand sanitizer production to keep British Columbians safe
- COVID-19: March 24 provincial update
- COVID19, BC update: Protecting jobs during difficult times
- COVID-19: Federal address to the country: STAY HOME! March 24, 2020
- COVID-19: Important Changes to Canada’s Postal Service – March 23, 2020
- COVID-19 Statistical overview for March 23 (BC), 2020