Recent Letters

All letters to the editor can be read by clicking on the link above. The remainder of the page is dedicated to comments, of which we received hundreds. Comments are collected from both our Facebook page as well as from the articles themselves. Want to write us a letter? Use the Contact page to reach us! We would love to hear from you!

Recent Comments

• From Lynne on A decade without a Senior's Centre, Council approves an Elders Complex on Lot A, in principle

Can hardly wait, Sooke Quilters who do a lot of charity work are presently without a home, after more than 50 years at Knox Pres. We have not heard if or when we will be allowed back in. Our charities like CASA and Sooke Hospice are no doubt missing our quilts as well as others in the community. I know this is a long way out but it would be the answer for our group as well as other senior groups in our community.

2020/09/20 at 11:59 am
  • From Ellen+Lewers on Canada’s top billionaires are $37 billion richer since start of the pandemic, CCPA report finds

So who decided liquor stores and huge grocery chains and tim hortons could stay open and small grocery stores and restaurants and ma & pa operations had to close? Who is in control? The loss if small business operations is a criminal offense.Science has not been used ,just an abuse of power. Each province,each state and different countries have all used different protocols ,allegedly based on same science. Sweden did not shut down at all with similar results as other countries.it is a crime to see our small business6 struggle so. It was a struggle before a shutdown,now,it is not likely that many will be there.

2020/09/20 at 7:09 am
  • From Loretta Boerkamp on The value of age, experience and ethnic diversity in working women

Britt: I think you have the intelligence to fill any position that in almost any area, technology or Government you have a good Sense of humour and would be an asset in a position where good common sense was a large requirement. I have passed the age of anything more then volunteering, fortunately my needs are few so keep myself busy helping others.
    I think you are providing an essential Service in Sooke and the Western area. Your daughters are receiving a gift of their Mom!
    Carry on Girl, proud to have known you!

2020/09/19 at 11:04 pm
    • From Britt Santowski on The value of age, experience and ethnic diversity in working women

Thanks Loretta, I’m inclined to agree. Others, however, disagree with you and me. Weird, right? I consider myself lucky to have crossed paths with a soul as gentle and kind and creative as you. Keep on changing the world in your wonderful way, Loretta, and I will be there cheering you on!

2020/09/20 at 7:38 pm
  • From Bryson Johnson on OPINION: Canada must eliminate food banks and provide a basic income after COVID-19

We have a basic income/ called welfare. We have people in place to handle the social safety net. Stop trying to create new benefits, each new system comes with high government cost to manage. JUST IMPROVE CURRENT SAFETY NET. If i was working for government and my future pension was in general revenue. My concerns about current government spending would be concerning .

2020/09/19 at 8:58 am
  • From S.B. on Sooke RCMP quietly launches online reporting tool

I like the JI comment
    Our experience has been a perfunctory courtesy and then a lack of follow up.
    They do the paperwork formalities at RCMP, they file, it dies.
    There’s a lack of professionalism.

2020/09/18 at 2:03 pm
  • From J I on Sooke RCMP quietly launches online reporting tool

I think a better suggestion would be 24 hour law enforcement in Sooke, by Sooke RCMP in the District of Sooke. What a novel idea? For goodness sakes there are 24 hour grocery stores in the region but for some reason law enforcement gets banker hours?!Basically gives the green light for any possible law breaker to go ahead and do whatever they want after 5 pm? Completely ridiculous.

2020/09/18 at 9:11 am
  • From Jannine on Garage Sales

Garages sales 2 houses
    6998 Brailsford Place
    Sunday September 20, 2020
    11am – 1pm
    Lots of boys clothes, shoes, EUC toys, books, sports equipment, household items

2020/09/17 at 9:58 pm
  • From Sarge Preston on Sooke RCMP quietly launches online reporting tool

A suggestion …an expedient means is to go to Serious Coffee and file a report while having a latte.
    Not that they don’t deserve a coffee break, but it’s a fact that our local Sooke detachment and it’s culture appears unusually lax in their administration of duties.
    The conduct and turnover of staff at Sooke RCMP is unusual.
    With respect and apologies to those exceptions that conduct themselves professionally.

2020/09/17 at 3:59 pm
  • From Heather on Capturing the sun through the smoke, Gregory Varano

Nice picture of something that is so unhealthy

2020/09/15 at 12:37 pm
  • From Maureen Savou on Capturing the sun through the smoke, Gregory Varano

Thank you for this Gregory!

2020/09/14 at 9:54 pm
  • From david evans on Capturing the sun through the smoke, Gregory Varano

Nice one, Gregory!

2020/09/14 at 8:42 pm
  • From Tanis Waher on Capturing the sun through the smoke, Gregory Varano

An awesome picture. Really shows how dense the smoke is!

2020/09/14 at 5:37 pm
  • From Kat on Sooke Folk Fall Kickoff with Kat Kadoski: September 19

New album is called “After the Shipwreck.”

2020/09/13 at 9:11 am
    • From Britt Santowski on Sooke Folk Fall Kickoff with Kat Kadoski: September 19

Thanks for that correction, Kat, I’ve fixed the article accordingly. Looking forward to your show in Sooke! -Britt/SPN

2020/09/13 at 11:22 am
  • From Ellen+Lewers on COVID-19: BC Stats (132 more cases), Sep 11, 2020

FYI
    The stats may be a little skewed as along with higher numbers, more people are bring tested ,so numbers may have been higher before and are lower now.
    Just the rest of the story and how stats can be used to make things appear differently than they are.

2020/09/12 at 6:00 am
  • From Barbara Hoffman on Garage Sales

Garage sale September 12 from 9-3
    5431 Sooke Rd

2020/09/10 at 11:50 pm
  • From Sophia B on Former manager of a Sooke hotel sues Facebook for $50Million

Is he the owner of ‘Durkin Diaper Delivery & Disposal’ ?

2020/08/31 at 5:47 am
  • From Ron Obscura on Former manager of a Sooke hotel sues Facebook for $50Million

Perhaps every individual in the Sooke community adversely affected by Durkin’s toxic presence should sue him for $50 million.

We’d prevail, and get paid -right? Or am I delusional?

2020/08/30 at 12:22 am
  • From Johnny Bench on Former manager of a Sooke hotel sues Facebook for $50Million

Looking at the copious legal filings on the Court Registry suggests a distressed chimpanzee throwing feces everywhere.
    But I see a business and public service opportunity….another economic engine for the community.
    An enterprising individual should purchase a hurdy gurdy, a collar and leash and let the unemployed primate greet Sooke visitors, perform and panhandle at the roundabout.

2020/08/29 at 2:34 pm
  • From Barbara Hoffman on Garage Sales

Estate Garage Sale
    Saturday, August 29th
    9am to 4pm
    5341 Sooke Road

2020/08/27 at 8:08 pm
  • From Jac on The value of age, experience and ethnic diversity in working women

Britt, you’re a remarkable person, brilliant and a community asset appreciated by many
    You’d be an huge asset to any business or enterprise you associate with.
    This personal narrative is revealing and worthy of sharing with others as I am doing
    Best wishes. Thank you for your community contributions and goodwill.

2020/08/23 at 7:34 pm
  • From Darkweb on Province steps up enforcement around social gatherings, $200 to $2,000 in fines

This is welcome, people must not be allowed to put others at risk. Anyone caught must pay the fine. Great development

2020/08/23 at 2:01 am
  • From Roy on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

Calling anyone that disagrees with you a racist and forwarding links does nothing to address inequality. Restricting free speech, not opening your mind up to both sides of an issue, and only exposing your self to websites, and people that agree to you will change nothing in this world.

2020/08/21 at 11:42 am
    • From Margaret Habsheid on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

Roy nailed it. Thx

2020/08/21 at 2:13 pm

In Canada, ignorance in knowledge and opinion is just as important as being informed. Being called racial is not required to get a point through.

2020/08/21 at 7:35 am
    • From Emma on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

why is being called racist, worse the act of racism? Have you read White Fragility? It’s helpful to answer that question.

2020/08/21 at 11:16 am

You being brainwashed. “White fragility “?? Sounds pretty racist to me hypocrite

2020/08/21 at 11:18 am
  • From Lynne on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

Great comment Brit!

2020/08/19 at 11:55 pm
  • From Paula Johanson on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

That’s another local demonstration for social justice! I liked the one we had by EMCS last month.

2020/08/19 at 9:14 pm
    • From Margaret Habscheid on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

I guess the qualifications for “Bravery” have shifted slightly since WW11. It’s sad that American media driven nonsense like BLM has come north of the border. Canada is the most free/non racist country on the planet (no slavery/no draft) and I feel offended that these 2 people are so influenced by the media/internet that they decided bring this hate to my small town of Sooke. BLM = HATE/LIES. Pretty simple. It’s also pretty telling of the intelligence level of these “children” that they cannot even make a sign with a few words on it. “All lifes will matter”…lolol pathetic and sad.

2020/08/20 at 9:05 am

assumption: you are a white woman…
        Why are you more worried about grammar on a sign, than the lives of people?

Why are you so threatened Margaret? Could it be that the idea of equality makes you uncomfortable?

You are a racist. That’s why you are uncomfortable.

2020/08/20 at 1:06 pm

Facts dont care about your feelings. You call anyone who disagrees with you a “racist”. Typical left wing ideology… Go do some travelling and see the world. Why do you support 2 children who are spreading hate? They don’t even know what they are protesting for Petes sake. I am tired of being told There is “systemic racism” in this country. Canada is one of the best places to live in the world and I am damn proud to be Canadian. People like you are trying to tear it down. Why?

2020/08/21 at 11:17 am
      • From Mark Zinkowski on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

“ Canada is the most free/non racist country on the planet ”

Any source(s) to back such a willfully ignorant and/or blind comment?

If your delicate sensibilities are so easily offended by youth for you to adopt such a hostile stance in reaction to a peaceful protest, then perhaps you should question your own viewpoint.

Attacking their spelling? The last bastion of a typical online troll.

The only hate being spread was your baseless and venomous post..Here’s hoping you have a better day.

2020/08/20 at 11:08 am

Being “offended” was sarcasm.It was a shot at people who cannot handle a different opinion without pulling the old “your racist” card. I find that pretty weak. No facts, no discussion, only feelings. I stated 2 reasons Canada is one of most free/best countries in the world. 1)no conscription 2) no slavery

2020/08/21 at 11:31 am

The only thing that is baseless and venomous is BLM. Racist political movement by the democratic party and left wingers etc… How can you be ok with a movement that destroys businesses in cities, calls all whites racist, wants to defund the police etc… are you people insane? How can you get behind a group like this? I treat everyone with kindness but i refuse to bow down to a bunch of angry, ignorant children who have zero work ethic and use catch phrases and “philosophy” that are based on emotions and not 1 shred of facts. 1)finish high school 2)get a job 3) dont have kids before marriage…pretty simple.

2020/08/21 at 11:27 am

Thx Mark, you have a great day as well. Let me know if you come up with some facts to go with all those feelings. You will go far sir.

2020/08/21 at 7:34 pm
          • From Mark on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

“ I treat everyone with kindness”

Sure, clearly that’s the case as your rantings indicate.

You’re exhibiting typical self-aware wolf behaviour. Way to rise up to the stereotypical norms of societal ills you so protest so much.

Have a great day Margaret.

2020/08/21 at 6:32 pm
      • From Wendy Johnson on Two BLM activists met with cheers and jeers on the Sooke roundabout: I celebrate their courage

And this is the conclusion of “I am the problem, but am too ignorant to recognize it”

2020/08/20 at 9:22 am

Please give me a list of the “systemic racism “ in this country. Are there any racist laws? Doesn’t everyone have equal opportunities? Maybe you prefer Socialism or Communism? That would explain things…

2020/08/21 at 11:33 am
  • From Roy on Opinion: No, she did not get the job just because she’s a woman (and, so what if she did? For millennia, he got the job because he’s a man!)

The third option is did she get the job because she is qualified? Her background is ivy league, road scholar, and PHD in linguistics, russian and slavic studies. She was a book writer and journalist for an economic magazine. She.has talked about the inequality between rich and poor. We are being led into a new direction of modern monetary theory where a balanced econonmy is more important than debt. This differs from the old way of balanced budgets. Hang on!!

2020/08/19 at 10:04 am
  • From Linda on Open Letter to Sooke Council: Remove private religious symbols from our public parks

I totally agree with this comment. The plaque was originally in another area and I was glad when it was taken away only to find it was just moved! Should not be allowed.

2020/08/16 at 10:08 am
  • From Laura Verhegge on Garage Sales

Yard sale Saturday 15 August 10-2
    6639 Eakin Dr
    Lots of kids stuff & hand sanitizer provided.
    Free freezies for kids!

2020/08/14 at 3:42 pm
    • From Laura Verhegge on Garage Sales

Extended to Sunday 16 August, 10 – 2 again
      Same address and we’ve got lots of toys!!

2020/08/15 at 4:08 pm
  • From Jo.P on Letter: Cutting of old growth on privately-owned lands needs to stop!

We need a tree bylaw in Sooke right now. The late great Brenda Parkinson was spearheading that. Tree bylaws abound on Vancouver Island……no one needs to reinvent the wheel….just take one already in place somewhere and modify it for Sooke. What’s with the stalling?

2020/08/12 at 9:55 am
  • From Sande on Letter: Cutting of old growth on privately-owned lands needs to stop!

So sad, actually more so. Anger rises in our hearts and throats. So much of Sooke’s natural
    beauty being felled, destroyed, seemingly rubber stamped by our Municipal Governing Body.
    Disappointed and discouraged by some of the decisions being made about more than just our precious old growth as well.

2020/08/11 at 8:50 pm
  • From craftyhomes on New community centre will deliver better health care to the T’Sou-ke Nation

home decor

2020/08/11 at 11:53 am
  • From Fabio on Rent relief extended for one month, for small businesses (federal gov)

That is welcome, iw will help me save money, thanks to everyone that implemented this. This is amazing.

2020/08/08 at 8:45 am
  • From Joseph Edward Smith on COVID-19: BC Stats (53 more cases), Aug 7, 2020

We have to be advised where the cases are on the Island.The public does not need to know the name,just the locations.Thed Island Heath Officer has no legal right to withhold this info.The National Emergency Act takes precidence
    in this matter.
    This is all in the interest of safety.If people are aware of a case nearby
    ,they will be more careful.

2020/08/07 at 7:43 pm
  • From Sande on SPN Poll: Do the access limitations prevent you from using the COVID-19 Contact Tracing app?

However, not sure that I’ll download it though…..

2020/08/05 at 6:44 pm
  • From barbara kerr on Garage Sales

Yard sale Aug 8th 10-2
    at 2467 Kemp lake rd. (gloves and hand sanitizer provided)
    No early birds please

2020/08/03 at 10:16 am
  • From Rory Bumbling on Bitcoin fraudster slithering around Langford

Is [name removed] doing BitCoin scams now ?

[Note: The name mentioned in this comment has been removed; I'm not willing to risk a defamation suit for someone else's wrath. Smarten up, or risk being blocked completely. -SPN]
    2020/07/27 at 6:27 pm
  • From Nick Drake on Got gas? Your Fortis bill is going up by 9%

Here are some fun facts about your gas bill;

Only about 25% pays for the actual gas.

Delivery of the gas is about 50% of the bill.

Carbon and other taxes are about 25%.

Still the cheapest way to heat your home.

(I don’t do wood)

2020/07/24 at 4:26 pm
  • From David on GoFundMe: Your contributions can bring a back a smile, literally

Thanks for sharing the GFM campaign, Britt.
    Community support has been wonderful and very appreciated 🙂

2020/07/20 at 2:51 pm
  • From Bryson on What your wearing a mask means to me

If medical teams started wearing cloth mask I may feel a little safer. Remember mask are suppose to work both way. If 50% of the people on the bus wear masked you have 100% protection.

2020/07/20 at 4:23 am
  • From Daniel Lehman on COVID-19: BC Stats (21 new cases), July 15, 2020

Kitsilano, Point Grey: Why am I see so many Washington state license plates at the local beaches? Why are these people being let into the country?

On July 16, Wa reported 1267 new cases, BC had 28!

2020/07/18 at 11:59 pm
  • From Derry Sayle on COVID-19: BC Stats (21 new cases), July 16, 2020

I catch the 61 Sooke bus to and from work most days. Until recently, I felt quite safe doing so because the amount of riders was low and a good number of them were wearing masks. The last time I rode the bus on July 15th, however, the bus was crowded and only a few people were wearing masks. I’m a 60 year old diabetic, and now I’m left wondering if I need to take a leave of absence from my job, or take a huge risk to my health while taking public transit. I wish our government would mandate masks or riders would just take a minute to think about the well-being others in public spaces, Sincerely,
    Derry

2020/07/17 at 1:28 pm
    • From Britt Santowski on COVID-19: BC Stats (21 new cases), July 16, 2020

Hi Derry, thanks for your comment. I’m going to escalate it and post it as a standalone letter to the editor. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and your personal situation.

Britt/SPN

2020/07/17 at 4:10 pm
  • From Nick Drake on For heaven's sake, TAX US! Over 90 millionaires (including three Canadians) sign this petition

…and here are the virtue-signalling hypocrites on video:

2020/07/16 at 2:22 am

There’s no need to tax these millionaires.

Both the Canada Revenue Agency and the US Internal Revenue Service accept voluntary contributions from taxpayers. I’m wondering how many of these rich people have taken advantage of this method of paying their “fair share”.

I’m betting none.

2020/07/16 at 1:37 am
  • From Denise Rempel on Video of Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus with the Sooke Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus

Stunning performances – loved it!

2020/07/15 at 10:47 am
  • From Kees Wiedeman Kenbeek on Sooke Harbour House sells for $5.6M in court-ordered sale

We have made a reservation and made a deposit. Due to corona we had to cancel and were told by mail there would be a refund. We would hav been ther for the third time, visiting from the Netherlands. Sofar no refund and no answer on our mails.

2020/07/05 at 11:48 am
  • From Ellen Price on Sooke Harbour House sells for $5.6M in court-ordered sale

What are the new purchaser’s plans? Will they be honouring existing commitments for events where substantial deposits have been made?

2020/06/26 at 10:31 am
  • From J Andrews on Province transitions COVID-19 border screening to federal government

Maybe the province should be stopping Americans from coming into BC so they can “travel to Alaska”?! How is that even allowed with borders being closed?! They are obviously touring BC as they have been seen in Banff and Port Renfrew. If Americans want to got to Alaska fly there….from America, Unbelievable, stupidity.

2020/06/25 at 9:24 am
  • From Sande on Province transitions COVID-19 border screening to federal government

Once out of Provincial hands, I suspect we will see a rise in cases as the Feds are not likely to monitor this.

2020/06/21 at 2:43 pm
  • From A.Reader on COVID-19: Daily federal address includes mention of possible CERB extension, June 15, 2020

I read that the Sooke District is going to levy one of the highest late interest rates for late tax payments. 10% !.Was that debated at council?Does the high rate represent a lack of feelings for those not working or trouble meeting their commitments due to the pandemic? Could it be that the administration; enjoying their continued salaries, is too far removed from the reality of those in the hardship of lost employment or business? Remember the first word from the District at the covid outbreak was Taxes will still be due July 2 nd.

2020/06/15 at 8:51 pm
  • From Paula Johanson on Whale wave in Sooke made a great splash!

So many waves and honks came from people cheering our demonstration as they passed. It was good to recognise on World Oceans Day that working for Climate Justice means working for Social Justice. Thank you to friends for gathering with careful physical distancing at our event during this pandemic.

2020/06/11 at 9:10 am
1 2 3 307

Suggested guidelines

We would like to remind everyone to be kind and use your inside voice and thoughts. Opinions expressed in these comments and the letters do not reflect the opinion(s) of Sooke PocketNews. We retain the right to have our own opinions. If you find any inappropriate comments (language, content), please use our Contact form to let us know and if it does not fall within our sense of decency, we will remove it. We will not, however, remove an opinion that conflicts with someone else’s. Generally speaking: be kind, and write as if you were speaking in person.