Recent Letters

All letters to the editor can be read by clicking on the link above. The remainder of the page is dedicated to comments, of which we received hundreds. Comments are collected from both our Facebook page as well as from the articles themselves. Want to write us a letter? Use the Contact page to reach us! We would love to hear from you!

Recent Comments

• From Heather Phillips on Introducing a new column to SPN: "Through the Lens of a Newcomer"

Of course we know what baklavas is. That’s filo pastry with honey and nuts. But what’s a neckie? Is that short for schnecke? I guess on the prairies, food can be stored by freezing in most parts of an ordinary house. No wonder the prairie people are trying to get to Vancouver Island.

But no need to bring the desserts. Lots of good things available in local coffee shops. And Canadians from the Rest of Canada won’t be missing Tim Hortons soon.

2019/03/30 at 9:01 am
    • From Lori on Introducing a new column to SPN: "Through the Lens of a Newcomer"

“A balaclava is a form of headgear designed to expose only part of the face usually the eyes and nose. Depending on style and how it is worn, only the eyes, mouth and nose, or just the front of the face are unprotected.”
      Luckily, not a necessary accessory in Sooke! You are all so blessed to live in a little piece of paradise!
      Submitted by a freezing Manitoban living vicariously through friends who live in Sooke.

2019/03/31 at 9:03 am
  • From Laura on Video of crazy traffic on Sooke Rd, March 28 4:30pm-ish

Good job Derek

2019/03/30 at 9:00 am
  • From Debbie on Introducing a new column to SPN: "Through the Lens of a Newcomer"

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing more about your transition to your new home.

2019/03/29 at 2:02 pm
  • From Lynda Slater on Sooke Thunderbirds Atom A Development Team brings home two banners: League Banner (0 losses) & Play Off Banner (Div 3)

Congratulations to you all. The coaches did an amazing job!! See you next year!

2019/03/28 at 8:16 am
  • From Carol Whitney on As of March 7, 2019, protection against SLAPP suits is now in force

Thank goodness you can finally be free of these ridiculous suits! This heals my heart!

2019/03/28 at 7:51 am
  • From Helene Harrison on Tim Hortons at Evergreen Mall: still a tentative prospect

where are people going to park? in general I am against another fast “food” outlet instead of replacing what was originally there, mixed use 2 story building. Sooke will look like Langford in no time.

2019/03/27 at 11:17 pm
  • From Laurel Lee Mayo on As of March 7, 2019, protection against SLAPP suits is now in force

Good news indeed. Btw, This was extremely well written. Thank you for never giving up. SPN is an essential news source for me.

2019/03/27 at 11:05 am
  • From Jo.P on Tim Hortons at Evergreen Mall: still a tentative prospect

What with 2 Tim Hortons and 4 marijuana shops and a dwindling supply of rainforests, perhaps a slogan change is in order. I suggest instead of “where the rainforest meets the sea” we try “where the weed meets the donut”. Now that should draw the tourists.

2019/03/26 at 7:51 pm
  • From Sande on As of March 7, 2019, protection against SLAPP suits is now in force

Wow! Talk about a sliver lining!

2019/03/26 at 6:57 pm
  • From Sande on Tim Hortons at Evergreen Mall: still a tentative prospect

Disappointed to hear of the Tim Horton’s Proposal for Evergreen Mall still on drawing board. This space could be attractive with boutiques, a cafe with outdoor seating which is on the sunny side of the street and still provide for necessary parking for the mall which is becoming more congested daily. Let’s look at making the approach to center town more appealing rather than the standard Subway, mcD.’s, Tim’s which residents and tourists alike might be more attracted to.

2019/03/26 at 6:03 pm
    • From Britt Santowski on Tim Hortons at Evergreen Mall: still a tentative prospect

In fairness, the development plan was passed. It’s just worth noting that the developer did indicate that they would bail if the pipes got too costly. They wanted limits set on scope, where as the bylaw states they are on the hook for the entire upstream catchment area. We’re trying to find out exactly what the parameters for that are.

2019/03/26 at 6:17 pm
  • From Jo.P on SPN articles to be permanently opened

Fewer than one half of 1% of 2000-3000 daily readers can afford $10/month? Perhaps we need to rethink our priorities a bit. I realize that some folks are struggling to stay afloat, but for the rest of us, surely there is some already uber wealthy corporation that we can re-direct a $10 purchase from every month and funnel it into Britt’s almost empty coffers. It is part of a vibrant community to be able to expect and get investigative local journalism. We are lucky to have that in the Sooke region. And it doesn’t come without a cost. It seems to me that we, the readers should be paying that cost; not Britt.

2019/03/24 at 6:01 pm
    • From Carol Whitney on SPN articles to be permanently opened

Well-said, Jo.P. Britt’s journalism is excellent, and I hope many will support it. I am doing my best, on a budget comparable in profits to Britt’s!

2019/03/27 at 3:06 pm
      • From Heather Phillips on SPN articles to be permanently opened

First, if we are reading Britt’s work, we should be paying her for her labour. Bob and I have subscribed to SPN. Second, my computer sits right by the door where I go in and out frequently. Almost as often as I go in and out the door, I check emails and SPN and other points of interest. Sometimes I read an piece, think about it, check it again, go back to read comments and such. So, if I am responsible for seven hits in one day, that brings the readership down and the percentage of those who subscribed up. But not by much.

2019/03/28 at 8:34 am
  • From Tami Meikle on Another Tim Hortons, another Pot Shop and new tax increase on the agenda, Monday

Why do we need 2 TH’s? We don’t! One is enough. Give us a good restaurant instead. As for another pot shop…..why? 3 is too many and 4 is overkill!

2019/03/21 at 9:21 pm
  • From gracie on Another Tim Hortons, another Pot Shop and new tax increase on the agenda, Monday

One Tims is enough thank you.

2019/03/21 at 8:10 pm
  • From Sande on Another Tim Hortons, another Pot Shop and new tax increase on the agenda, Monday

The last thing Sooke needs is another TH…with one just down/up the road or another cannabis outlet….for education purposes, please!

2019/03/21 at 5:48 pm
  • From Marilyn Erickson on B.C. government gets ready for 2019 wildfire season

Let’s get some ashtrays placed back at forested highway bus stops, community mailboxes and pullouts . Highway 14 has so many and there’s always a pile of butts at each one all around the dry brush. More prevention!

2019/03/20 at 9:13 pm
  • From Yvonne on B.C. government doubling grant funding to provide low-cost dental care to more people

Tell me where to find a clinic. I am a senior retiree living in Sooke.

2019/03/20 at 5:15 pm
    • From Britt Santowski on B.C. government doubling grant funding to provide low-cost dental care to more people

Hi Yvonne, the information is at the bottom of the article: Camosun College and Cool Aid society in Victoria. Addresses, phone numbers, services and additional information is all listed.

2019/03/20 at 5:30 pm
  • From Sande on Meanwhile in Sooke: March 9 - 15, 2019

Lovin’ this kitty

2019/03/17 at 5:44 pm
  • From Tim on March is (among other things) Distracted Driving Awareness Month

Dogs , dogs dogs beside the driver , how many dogs have I seen in cars, trucks jumping around on the driver, tooooooooo many . I have a video recorder that I use to capture people who pass me in 30 k zones etc and a GPS that gives me directions , but are not fingered when driving , people eating and drinking coffee and smoking is distracted especially now when a person don’t know what in hell they are smoking.

2019/03/16 at 6:29 pm
  • From Sande on Sooke Council accepts consideration of another cannabis outlet in Sooke

Seems to me to be nothing but a money grab.

2019/03/14 at 12:03 pm
  • From Carol Whitney on Sooke PocketNews is under attack, logins may be affected so site is OPEN TO ALL

Is the attack still going on?

2019/03/13 at 3:15 pm
    • From Britt Santowski on Sooke PocketNews is under attack, logins may be affected so site is OPEN TO ALL

Yep. As of March 13, 2019, 3:16pm…

2019/03/13 at 3:16 pm
  • From Sande on Sooke PocketNews is under attack, logins may be affected so site is OPEN TO ALL

Do hope you have some tech help to get through this Britt! We need you and SPN!

2019/03/09 at 6:35 pm

Oh, yegads. I am so sorry. How ridiculous! Try to kill the tiniest ant from the tiniest anthill in the world! (Though Sooke ain’t so tiny any more.) Take care of yourself, Britt.

2019/03/09 at 3:21 pm
  • From Patricia on Sooke PocketNews is under attack, logins may be affected so site is OPEN TO ALL

Britt: This is really sick. I hope the RCMP are involved. I wish for you an immediate resolution to this evil.

2019/03/09 at 3:04 pm
  • From Erin on Sooke PocketNews is under attack, logins may be affected so site is OPEN TO ALL

Wow! That’s insane, and so incredibly frustrating! I’m really sorry that’s happening! 🙁
    I don’t understand though what any attacker would want with a small town like Sooke’s digital newspaper. Why do they do this? I feel like out of everyone in the world, there would be much bigger fish for them to fry… Go attack Wall Street FFS!

2019/03/09 at 10:28 am
  • From mrslewers on Shirley (Delicious) turns six, and you're invited to the party

Well Done Folks. We always hear the most wonderful remarks from folks who have been there and we too have enjoyed your wonderful food. All the best for another 6 years at least.

2019/03/08 at 2:59 pm
  • From mrslewers on New legislation will strengthen independence of Agricultural Land Commission

We need to go one step further with the ALC, is if we are to allow cannabis as an agricultural product, we need to set guidelines on farmland that allows cannabis to be grown as long as 70% of the property is farmed for food. We can’t live on cannabis folks. It just not have all the food groups.

2019/03/08 at 2:56 pm
  • From mrslewers on Recommendations delivered for Wild Salmon Strategy

No 1, reduce the predators, ie the sea lions who eat the herring which feed the salmon and also eat the salmon. It is like have 100 cougars and five deer. Not too long ago , common sense was the name of the game and fisherman, culled the numbers without federal govt., interference. That is culled , not illuminated and at one time the province paid for each cougar pelt turned in as well and the deer were hunted and sold at the local butcher. Sometimes we just need to look back before we move forward.

2019/03/08 at 2:54 pm
  • From mrslewers on International Women's Day: SPN pays tribute to one of our own, Mrs. Ellen Lewers

Thank you kindly for all your kind words.
    When I consider all the women of my families , who have gone before me, I am nothing. They have endured and built a strong nation with strong men with determination matching their own. I think of the many people who came to this country with nothing in the early 1900 to a cold and forbidding prairie who lost infants and crops and animals to a harsh land and worked , really by the sweat of their brows and gave to all those in need and kneeled down at the end of the day by their beds, with their husbands and thanked God. These are the true women of the years.
    On another note, do not hire me or give me special privilege because I am a woman, but recognize me for what I can or cannot do, or you insult me.

2019/03/08 at 2:47 pm
  • From Ardiña on Sooke School District to receive two new buses and improvements for Dunsmuir Middle School

Talk about trauma.

2019/03/06 at 11:20 pm
  • From Gail Reichert on March 6 is World Lymphedema Day; honour the day by learning about this most underdiagnosed condition

Thank you for your support.

2019/03/05 at 10:31 pm
  • From Phillips on Sooke Council denies land removal from ALR

As I remember the earlier attempt to do a “land swap”, the report on the West Coast Road property said it was low grade for agriculture whereas the Otter Point property had a better grade because it was already being farmed. In other words, the people were using the land for agriculture and the soil was improved. It seems to be true of any land used for farming: it has to be cared for. If the West Coast Road properties were sold to a farmer, I expect the soil quality would improve over the years.

I wonder what land remediation efforts were undertaken since 2011 when an earlier report was submitted to DOS? I stopped reading the Stantec Report, linked in the story above, when it said the WCR property was at the foot of mountains. I thought it started well with descriptions of the various soil types and grading system but when I got to “mountains”, I ran out of patience.

Maybe read the full report to get an idea of what would be possible on the property with an investment for agriculture?

Back in 2011, the JdF Land Use decision was to recommend inclusion of the Otter Point farm land in the ALR but that decision was not linked to the land swap. The deal between the land owners was linked to the land swap so the inclusion did not happen because the exclusion was denied.

2019/03/05 at 11:03 am
  • From Linda on Monthly Sooke Arts Council meeting location moved

Nice location for a Meeting! Maybe I’ll treat myself to some pie while I’m at the meeting.

2019/03/05 at 9:00 am
  • From cwhitney on DriveSmartBC: Things that go bump in the parking lot

The woman is a menace to all; best get her off the road. I’ve sent my thoughts. I’m 82, and, following an accident (fall) in which I broke my right leg and left arm, I’ve given up my license and sold my car. Safe driver for lots of years, and cannot RISK letting my weakness fail me in an emergency, so that I injure or kill somebody.

2019/03/04 at 2:23 pm
  • From Phillips on Temporary median 'picket' delineators coming to TCH deadly crash zone

No disrespect to the people who die or are injured, but what do we know about drivers’ response to barriers and “pickets”? Do people drive into them with the same frequency as people used to cross the centre line? Or do the centre line barriers and pickets improve drivers’ ability to avoid nudging over or crossing the line? Which would indicate drivers need improving as well as the highway. A driver error at 90 kph is more likely to cause an accident than a driver error at 60 kph, so maybe, even if a person is travelling at the legal speed, “speed” is a factor in accidents.

2019/03/04 at 9:11 am
  • From Joel Hanson on Police probe discovery of human remains

Don’t use this headline to get people to your site and then say it an insider’s story and ask to join the web page to read. This is a friend of mine and you are using this for advertising.

2019/03/02 at 7:44 pm
  • From Clark Warburton on Opportunity to appeal definitively denied, Durkin's deportation hearing to proceed

If Mr. Durkin is deported may I suggest Aer Lingus as a suitable carrier.

2019/03/01 at 4:36 pm
  • From Rachael on New family maintenance enforcement measures coming into effect

They still will not do anything

2019/02/28 at 7:43 pm
  • From CliveK on Applicant driving the temporary use permit misses deadline to apply

I’m guessing the owner wants The District to take Court action. If memory serves a former councillor suggested (not word perfect here) that the owner may have grounds for a case against The District. If the owner believes a win in court is possible you do not want a signed document floating around confirming your non-compliance.

Just like certain body parts we all have one and that’s my opinion.

2019/02/28 at 8:10 am
  • From Grannyjan on Applicant driving the temporary use permit misses deadline to apply

It would appear that this business will simply continue to flout the law, with no consequences, as it has for the last many years.

2019/02/27 at 3:57 pm
  • From cwhitney on After a decade of flatlined remuneration, Sooke's elected officials get substantial pay increase

I’m very glad council voted for a pay increase; it was about time.

2019/02/26 at 6:32 pm
  • From Fruitier on After a decade of flatlined remuneration, Sooke's elected officials get substantial pay increase

Difficult decision for Mayor and Council to make on their own compensation, but would agree it was long overdue.

2019/02/26 at 1:34 pm
  • From Patricia Whiteley on After a decade of flatlined remuneration, Sooke's elected officials get substantial pay increase

Congratulations, council, you deserve it. You work for us and yourself so, an increase is good incentive to do and even better job. It also shows we appreciate the work that you do.

2019/02/26 at 12:54 pm
  • From Jonas on Courts rule against Tim Durkin's request to have a deportation hearing overturned

That guy Durkin preys on the elderly.
    The Harbour House owners the Philip, and Oak Bay widow, the spa owner at the Prestige of $1,000,000.
    The sooner he and family are gone the better Flush them.

2019/02/26 at 8:15 am
  • From Les-Ann Ruttan on Ask the SPCA: Is declawing really that bad for cats?

It’s extremely cruel and painfully!!! There paws are in pain to dig in kitty litter, they can NEVER go outside, and it is so not natural for there well being. :o(

2019/02/24 at 5:49 pm
  • From Phil Rossner on Sheringham Distillery receives World's Best Contemporary Gin award for their Seaside Gin

Studies clearly indicate that alcohol is neurotoxic, with direct effects on nerve cells. ‘Nuff said…

2019/02/22 at 7:10 pm
  • From SWallace on Opinion: Complex Canadian-Indigenous relationship need united empathy, patience, understanding

Thank you,, Mia. A really well written and heartfelt article, full of thought provoking pieces for us all to contemplate. There is so much we can learn. I read an excellent book by Charlie Angus, “Children of the Broken Treaty”, which painfully opened my eyes and changed my perspective on the first nation experience in Canada and the horrifying role my ancestors played. So much still goes on today – we all need to be part of the healing. thank you.

2019/02/20 at 9:56 pm
  • From cwhitney on Opinion: Complex Canadian-Indigenous relationship need united empathy, patience, understanding

When I saw this article, I shared it, because I found it very beautiful and helpful. It appears that Mia Taylor is the daughter of two of my friends; just learned that today, when, commenting on the original post, Mia referred to “Mom.” HA! I might have guessed, from my previous friendship with Mia’s parents! But Mia stands magnificently on her own studies, hard work, and perceptions. Thanks, Mia, for a great article, and I’m very glad Britt has picked it up and published it, with your kind permission.

2019/02/19 at 5:52 pm
  • From mrslewers on Additional video footage of ATM theft in West Shore

Looks like no 3 photo is a woman

2019/02/14 at 4:54 pm
  • From Ken on Coast Guard Auxiliary crew executes late-night marine rescue (updated)

Shameful that these weekend warriors take
    Charity money to have multiple fast enclosed boats at each unit.

Other charities are much more deserving of all this BC lottery money.

This is the third major incident that this unit has had in twelve years. Another unit killed some of its members in skookumchuck narrows doing dumb thing with massive current running. Then the safety systems onboard failed to work to right the boat (due to lack of maintenance). This killed two volunteers inside in a most violent traumatic way..

I want my provincial lottery funding used to support people in the community that need it, single moms, families in poverty, seniors etc. NOT weekend warriors in hopped up multi hundred thousand dollar boats that duplicate a service already provided by my tax dollars (coast guard).

Shut all these volunteer Ricky rescue units down…. they are clearly more a hazard than a benefit…. thank Christ there wasn’t a bystander on the land or a kayaker.

They couldn’t even find their way home to their home base…. how can they safely go anywhere else or help anyone?

Their boats are too powerful, their crews not responsible enough to slow down.

2019/02/11 at 9:28 pm
  • From Pattyboo on Blue box recycling service is running today, with exceptions

They missed Lannon Creek Park today. All roads in here are cleared and sanded.

2019/02/11 at 6:37 pm

Suggested guidelines

We would like to remind everyone to be kind and use your inside voice and thoughts. Opinions expressed in these comments and the letters do not reflect the opinion(s) of Sooke PocketNews. We retain the right to have our own opinions. If you find any inappropriate comments (language, content), please use our Contact form to let us know and if it does not fall within our sense of decency, we will remove it. We will not, however, remove an opinion that conflicts with someone else’s. Generally speaking: be kind, and write as if you were speaking in person.