The Otter Point Volunteer Fire Department posted the following notice on their Facebook page:
EFFECTIVE SUNDAY at 6PM, NO OPEN BURNING PERMITTED in Otter Point Fire District
All open burning will be shut down in Otter Point at 6pm on Sunday June 10, 2018. There are a few permits out there that are still valid until Sunday.
A number of factors have played into this decision.
May was the driest on record and the Fire Hazard rating has been at HIGH for weeks. Even with the small amount of moisture we have received it has not been enough to significantly effect the High Hazard rating.
Our neighbours in Sooke shut down open burning on May 31 and Forestry shut down open burning before that.
After Sunday June 10, incinerators with a screen and camp fires in a ring will still be permitted. These fires must be attended at all times while they are burning and must be completely extinguished after they are no longer attended.
- Burning regulations in Sooke (Opening burning allowed from Oct 1 to May 31, but please refer to these regulations for specific details)
- Follow Government Fire Info on Twitter
- Follow Government Fire Info on Facebook
To report a wildfire, please call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. Local non-emergency numbers (in case of emergency, please phone 9-1-1):
- Sooke Fire Department: 250-642-5422
- Otter Point Fire Department: 250-642-6211
- Shirley Fire Department: 250-646-2107
- Port Renfrew Fire Department 250-647-0101
- East Sooke Fire Department: 250-642-4411