According to reports on the radio this morning, the Tugwell fire is expected to be completely under control by Friday evening, with hotspot management continuing for the next couple of weeks to ensure the fire is completely extinguished.
The last official word from BC Wildfire came last night, with the fire still measuring 84ha and it being 50 per cent contained.
According to the Juan de Fuca Emergency Program’s Facebook, Thursday’s day-end update included the following information:
Latest update on the Tugwell Creek Fire July 5, 2018
- The Tugwell Creek wildfire continues to burn near Sooke and is presently tracked at 84 ha today.
- This fire is now 50% contained.
- Firefighters have machined fire-guards at 80% of the area with 20% of steep slope & creek bed providing a natural fire break.
- There are 75 firefighters plus a few contracted personnel & 5 bucket helicopters along with 2 support helicopters are suppressing the fire.
- There is a smell of smoke in the air and smoke is visible in EA-JDF and towards greater Victoria.
The forest fire near Tugwell Creek started in a clearcut section of privately managed forest land 18 km northwest of Sooke, and burned slash, felled and bucked timber, and mature and juvenile standing timber. Smoke was first spotted in the afternoon of July 2 and measured 2ha in size; in two, it days peaked at 100ha. Humans and structures were never threatened.
It is assumed the fire was human caused.
- Final update, Tugwell Fire 100% contained
- Sunday progress report on the Tugwell Creek fire
- Out of danger, under control, the fire suppression work continues
- Update on Friday’s update on the Tugwell fire
- Effective Tugwell fire suppression efforts continue
- Tugwell fire now 50% contained
- Letter: Tugwell forest fire “inspires” call for clearcut ban, even on private land
- Tugwell fire now down to 84ha
- Tugwell fire, July 5: Still at 100ha, no danger to people or structures at this time
- Tugwell fire grows to 85ha
- Tugwell fire now 60ha and growing, 10% contained, still out of control
- UPDATED: Tugwell fire is 10ha in size, listed as “out of control”