–Debb Read, Wild Wise Sooke
A bear has been destroyed in Sooke.
The season has just begun and a bear destroyed in Whiffin Spit area.
The complaint came with caller not interested in speaking with Wild Wise Sooke to learn how to manage attractions and prevent attracting bears. Education is key to Coexisting with Wildlife
The Conservation Officers always ask if they can send out Wild Wise Sooke. Unfortunately, some people aren’t interested in prevention or managing attractions.
The bear was euthanized due to habituation. The chronic problems we have with bears in that area are ultimately caused by poor garbage management. The responsibility to manage rests with humans, 100%. This young male bear had no fear of people. No doubt it grew up in the Whiffin Spit area, feasting on the abundant garbage left out by some residents.
If you have a bear in your space the first thing to do is ask yourself “What am I doing to attract this bear?” Second, contact Wild Wise Sooke (see below). We will assist in identifying attractions and how to manage them. We are an educational program: Be Bear Wise!
Please contact Wild Wise Sooke … Learn how to co exist with Wildlife.
Wild Wise Sooke
A community program
- Wild Wise Sooke issues dire warning: clean up your trash or see more bear conflicts
- Preparing for hibernation season in bear country
- Preparation for hibernation puts bears on a massive calorie intake search
- Want fewer bears put down? Manage your garbage, pick your fruit!
- Increased bear sightings, what you need to know, and how to keep bears alive
- Bear sightings at Potholes, between parking lots 3 and 2
- Black bear wants some water play in Sunriver
- A sure sign of spring for residents of Sooke is the return of bears.
- Bear in Area signs emerge from hibernation
- Wild Wise Sooke presents falling numbers in Sooke
- Bear conflicts are on the rise
- Wild Wise Sooke reminds SUNRIVER residents to store garbage indoors and manage attractions
- Reminder from Wild Wise Sooke: Bears are emerging from the hills
- Be bear-wise in Sooke: Bear-proof your yard
- First bear destroyed, Wild Wise Sooke urges education
- Be Bear Wise: Wild Wise Sooke suggests spring cleaning, minimize attractants
- More cougar cautions for Sooke Potholes hiking area
- Good to Know: How to deal with a surprise encounter with a black bear
- A Bear’s Bill of Rights, from Wild Wise Sooke
- The community of Sooke let this bear down, say Conservation Officers