Since yesterday, there have been 737 (was 622 yesterday) more diagnosed COVID-19 cases in B.C., and 9,412 cases are being actively monitored. (If you’re looking for a benchmark, here’s the news from one year ago today.)
- Total cases in B.C. since the pandemic began: 90,049. Of the new cases, the breakdown is as follows:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 163 new cases
- Fraser Health: 426 new cases
- Island Health: 32 new cases
- Interior Health: 33 new cases
- Northern Health: 82 new cases
- Active cases: 5,207 (previously 4,941)
- Hospitalized cases: 292 (previously 286)
- Intensive care: 85 (previously 85)
- 2 new deaths (total 1,421)
- Recovered: 84,078
There have been 68 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 1,200 cases. Of the total cases, 149 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 1,094 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 41 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 65 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
To date, 490,022 (was 465,584) doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,120 of which are second doses. Vaccine appointment bookings are open for people over age 82, adding one year each day this week for people 80 and older by the end of the week, along with Indigenous peoples over 65.
Island Health Vaccination information
Only call in at 1-833-348-4787, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily, when you’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based window, you can call anytime after you become eligible. Eligibility is now for anyone 85 and older, or Indigenous 65 and older.
From today’s statement
“The availability of the AstraZeneca/SII COVID-19 vaccine has allowed us to create a parallel vaccine program to our age-based provincewide immunization program.
“It is separate supply that supplements and adds onto the age-based vaccines, allowing us to strategically target active outbreaks and higher-risk populations and locations.
“With our AstraZeneca/SII supply for the coming weeks confirmed, we are able to start immunizing our front-line workers. As more vaccine becomes available, we will be able to expand to even more people on our front lines.
“For those who have been at work throughout the pandemic, supporting so many others, please know your efforts are recognized and valued. Everyone is important and everyone will have their turn.
“The selection of the front-line workers for part two of this program is based on the known risk of transmission, as well as the nature and size of the workplace environment.
“We remind all businesses and workers that the requirement to continue to follow COVID-19 safety plans remains in place – even if workers have been vaccinated.
“We also remind workers that health authorities will contact employers directly to arrange immunizations, and calling the age-based booking line will not provide access to the parallel AstraZeneca/SII vaccine program.
“We are working with all of the supply we have available to maximize our protection and we are using every last drop. We also must focus on the individual actions that we need now more than ever to keep each other and our families and communities safe.”
Access the BC COVID-19 dashboard for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more:
Cases by Health Service Delivery Area
Click here (Updated weekly on Thursdays)
Previous provincial updates
- 1,205 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 15, 2021 (includes modelling)
- 1,168 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, April 14, 2021
- 873 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 13, 2021
- 3,289 new BC COVID-19 cases, 18 deaths, April 12, 2021 (3 days)
- 1,262 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 9, 2021
- 1,293 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 8, 2021
- 997 new BC COVID-19 cases, 2 deaths, April 7, 2021
- 1,068 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, April 6, 2021
- 1,889 new BC COVID-19 cases in the last two days, 23 death in the last four, as of April 5, 2021
- Two record days mean 2,090 new BC COVID-19 cases in BC, April 3, 2021
- 832 new BC COVID-19 cases and 5 deaths in BC, April 1, 2021
- With 1,013 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 31, 2021, BC surpasses 100,000 cases
- 840 new BC COVID-19 cases and no deaths in BC, March 30, 2021
- 2,518 new BC COVID-19 cases and 6 deaths in BC, March 29, 2021
- 908 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 26, 2021
- Yowza! 800 new BC COVID-19 cases and 5 deaths in BC, March 25, 2021
- 716 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 24, 2021
- 682 new BC COVID-19 cases and 1 death in BC, March 23, 2021
- 737 new BC COVID-19 cases and 16 deaths in BC, March 22, 2021 (3 days)
- Gah! 737 new BC COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths in BC, March 19, 2021
- 622 new BC COVID-19 cases and 8 deaths in BC, March 18, 2021
- Covid-19 vaccination update, March 18, 2021
- 498 new BC COVID-19 cases and 4 deaths in BC, March 17, 2021
- 556 new BC COVID-19 cases and 0 deaths in BC, March 16, 2021
- B.C’s first deployment of AstraZeneca vaccine in B.C.
- 1,506 new BC COVID-19 cases and 10 deaths in BC, March 15, 2021
- 648 new BC COVID-19 cases and 0 deaths in BC, March 12, 2021
- 569 new BC COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in BC, March 11, 2021
- 531 new BC COVID-19 cases and 1 death in BC, March 10, 2021
- 550 new BC COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths in BC, March 9, 2021