– article and photos submitted by Georgina Patko, Executive Director Connections Place, photo credit: various
On Friday, January 11, West Wind Harbour Cohousing celebrated the groundbreaking of their exciting new development on Goodmere Road. With Shirley Alfonse of the T’souke Nation blessing the land and Mayor Tait giving greetings from the township it was a time of great joy for the members, friends and guests of the new development. There are currently 23 equity members of the development, with 11 units left for others to join. These are exciting times for these residents of Sooke both new and old, and we wish them well with their venture.
In January 2016, Harbourside Cohousing (6681 Horne Road) opened its doors to 31 homeowners. This mix of apartments, duplexes, and four-plexes was also BC’s first senior cohousing community, widely noticed in British Columbia and beyond. The Sunday Edition (CBC Radio) did an extensive feature on this cohousing venture, which aired on November 8, 2015. The founders of Harbourside Cohousing worked together for five years to design a development that would best serve them to live in a connected community.
In the spring of 2017, the ground work began for West Wind Harbour Cohousing, the second cohousing venture in Sooke. According to their website, completion is expected in 2020.
Cohousing is based on private ownership of self-contained homes, in a community centered around and focused on shared facilities. Learn more about cohousing here.
- For more information on the West Wind Harbour project, visit their website here.
- For more information on the Harbourside project, visit their website here.
- Co-housing curious? West Wind Harbour Cohousing invites the curious-to-serious to a workshop
- Groundbreaking ceremony sees construction start for Sooke’s second co-housing project
- “Is Cohousing for you?”
- Sooke cohousing once again gets national coverage
- Letter: Cohousing, and its benefits and problems
- Sooke’s second co-housing project moves full steam ahead, workshops Mar 17 and 18
- Second co-housing project in Sooke deemed affordable, good to go
- Curious about co-housing? Free Information Sessions are coming up
- West Wind Harbour: Sooke’s Second Cohousing Development
- A second cohousing development springs up in Sooke: Introducing West Wind Harbour Cohousing
- Official opening of Harbourside Senior Cohousing, photo gallery
- VIDEO: Back when Sooke’s Harbourside Cohousing community was just an idea
- Sooke’s best kept secret: A senior cohousing community with 31 units sets a Canadian standard
- Sooke’s Harbourside Cohousing is going full steam ahead
- ICYMI: “My Last Big Adventure” … Harbourside, Sooke’s Senior Co-Housing project, hits the national airwaves
- Sooke’s senior co-housing project gets noticed, nationally