The hactivist group, Anonymous, posted the following on their Operation Green Lights website. All comments (at the time of the publication of this article) on the website assert their appreciation for Anonymous’s attention (see Resources below for the link).
Thirty-second backgrounder: The Government of BC has signed a 50 year contract allowing the dumping of 100,000 tonnes of contaminated soil annually, near both Shawnigan Lake and Sooke Lake (both are water reservoirs). For more information, see the links below. The 12,000 residents of Shawnigan Lake all seem to apposed to this deal.
Greetings, citizens of British Columbia.
We are Anonymous.
It has come to our attention that the Government of British Columbia, and in particular, the Ministry of Environment, have demonstrated what appears to be extreme negligence, and seems to have a willful disregard for it’s duties to protect the environmental interests of British Columbians.[sam id=”15″ codes=”true”]Ministry of Environment officials, you allowed a contaminated soil dumping permit to be granted above Shawnigan Lake. You endorsed the dumping of five million tonnes of contaminated soils over a 50 year period into a watershed still pristine enough to support safe drinking water for over 12,000 residents, a fish bearing lake, and a stream that supports spawning Coho salmon. You have been shown evidence of exposed groundwater unprotected from toxic runoff, with the potential for extensive groundwater contamination. Despite ongoing court actions, your own inspections showing failed containment of runoff, irrefutable proof from independent engineers and laboratories, and even extensive video evidence clearly showing that contaminants are leaching from the site, you have steadfastly chosen ignore it entirely and allow dumping to continue. This crime is heinous. Your conduct is unconscionable. You failed to validate, or even understand, the questionable engineering. You failed to enforce the requirements of the permit. You failed to adequately consult the areas indigenous peoples. You failed to monitor the site or hold the polluters to account. You learned nothing from the worst disaster in Canadian mining history at the Mt. Polley tailings pond. You have failed British Columbians one too many times, and now you have drawn our ire.
Principals of Cobble Hill Holdings, and it’s affiliated companies, including South Island Aggregates (SIA), South Island Resource Management (SIRM), Alterra Construction, and Active Earth Engineering. Your alleged fraud and secret profit sharing contract are likely not the last examples of your ethics and business practices that will meet the public eye.
And finally, to those companies involved in the distribution and transport of contaminated soil to the Shawnigan Lake site. We are watching you. We are your neighbors, from your friendly coffee shop employee through to your local IT professional. We are amongst you. Those companies who choose to remain involved should expect us.
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
- Operation Green Lights website
- Engineering report commissioned by CVRD (Linked here)
- Mary, we have a problem (blog by Sonia Furstenau, Shawnigan Lake Area Director)
- Email ENV.Minister@gov.bc.ca and visit www.TheSRA.ca for more information.
- Backgrounder from Andrew Weaver, MLA
- BCNDP Leader John Horgan questions Clark gov over contaminated soil dump in Shawnigan Lake watershed (Video)
- Shawnigan Water org
- BC Government Factsheet: South Island Aggregates application (April 15, 2013)
- Minutes from a CRD Regional Water Supply Commission meeting (June 17, 2015)
All Shawnigan Lake articles on Sooke PocketNews
- Green MLA seeks answers as an engineer report finds no conflict of interest re contaminated soil at Shawnigan
- Minister Polak cancels contaminated soil permit, Shawnigan Lake
- Dumping toxic soil near Shawnigan Lake temporarily halted
- Plain English report of April 6 court events; Second Shawnigan Lake court ruling expected on Friday, April 15
- Cowichan watershed-protection community celebrates victory
- ICYMI: W5 probes contaminated soil dump uphill from Shawnigan Lake in “Trouble in Paradise”
- NDP critical of increasing carbon emissions under Clark’s leadership
- SRA update on the contaminated soil dumping happening near Shawnigan and Sooke water reserves
- Stand with Shawnigan on January 6, 2015
- CHEK News covers the nine arrests at Shawnigan Lake, on Tues Dec 22
- Hacktivist group Anonymous turns attention to Shawnigan Lake
- Andrew Weaver, MLA, calls for immediate stop to toxic soil dumped near Shawnigan/Sooke water reservoirs
- BC Gov designates Vancouver Island the provincial toxic dumping ground; Shawnigan Lake, Sooke Lake water reserves at risk