As you know, SPN has been following the drama of the Sooke Harbour House and the fugitive, Tim Durkin. We never had the resources to go deep.
Investigative journalist Tori Marlan, writing for Victoria’s Capital Daily, did just that. She’s been investigating this particular chapter of Sooke Harbour House’s history for months, fact-checking, and screening content, and she’s written one heck of a great article.
If you want to know how a fugitive “businessman” stole the livelihoods of many local people, and how he was able to do so with impunity while Canadian and US authorities turned away (including the Sooke RCMP), please give this a read.
This is why independent media matters. SPN never had the resources, and the main media never had the motivation to cover the criminal matters in a tiny town. But what happens here can happen anywhere.
Go get yourself a cup of something steaming and get ready for a great read!
“The man who stole a hotel: A fugitive from the US started fresh on Vancouver Island—then bilked new victims out of millions of dollars while law enforcement refused to act.” By Tori Marlan. Capital Daily.
Please support Capital Daily, an independent worthy of your readership!
SPN Related Coverage
- Security Commission alleges Vancouver Island man sold fake ownership interest in Sooke Harbour House
- Scammers Timothy Durkin and Rodger Gregory personally held responsible for “Special Costs”
- How a shyster was allowed to destroy lives and operate with impunity right here in Sooke
- Timothy Durkin’s admissibility hearing again adjourned until September 13, 2021
- Ramblings continue, hearing concludes on application for special costs: Timothy Durkin and Rodger Gregory
- Timothy Durkin’s admissibility hearing adjourned until April 2021
- Court costs waived for Philips (plus a few choice descriptors of Durkin)
- Application for Special Costs on hold for Gregory; Durkin ends with arguments, accusations and self-pity
- Basran rules: Philips’ lawyers awarded proceeds from sale of Sooke Harbour House, Durkin denied
- Timothy Durkin feels dropped 10,000 feet into a battleground (of his own making)
- Timothy Durkin among those asking for money on the sale of Sooke Harbour House
- “You wasted my time” Kicking the can down the road continues for Timothy Durkin; no decision, more delay
- Scheduled admissibility hearing for Timothy Durkin obfuscated, observers on trial
- “Garden variety bully” Durkin found responsible, directly held liable for $4M
- Former manager of a Sooke hotel sues Facebook for $50Million
- Sooke Harbour House sells for $5.6M in court-ordered sale
- Rumour confirmed, owner of Sooke PocketNews being sued
- Opportunity to appeal definitively denied, Durkin’s deportation hearing to proceed
- Courts rule against Tim Durkin’s request to have a deportation hearing overturned
- Canada Border Services claims manager of Sooke Harbour House is wanted for fraud