Imagine setting up your home completely from scratch. What would you need? What would you like to have?
These are the questions that the members of Team Sooke/Juan de Fuca have been asking themselves as they start to gather goods for the refugee family of four they are sponsoring. There is still no word on the family’s arrival date—the paperwork continues to make its way through the system. But it has happened that families suddenly arrive with little notice.
To make sure they are prepared, the Team has created a Wishlist of basic household items and posted it at their website. It works like a gift registry. You review the list to see if you can offer any items still needed. Then follow the instructions for registering your gift(s) by email.
Some of the items must be new. Most can be in “good used” condition. Gift cards are welcome. The Team’s goal is to see how many of the essential items they can collect by 15 August.
Anyone who is interested can see the Wishlist online.
We are a group of Sooke region residents who are sponsoring an Iraqui refugee family.
The parents and their two daughters, 13 and 20, were forced to flee Mosul when it was taken over by ISIS in 2014. They are now struggling to survive as refugees in Lebanon.
We have sent them information about Sooke and the Juan de Fuca region, and they are very excited to have a chance to come here.
- Sooke/Juan de Fuca sponsored Iraqi family has arrived
- Sponsored refugee family arrives in December, still need a place to call home
- Sponsorship team expects a family of four from Iraq to arrive shortly
- Local refugee sponsorship group achieves fundraising target
- Enjoy a taste of Iraq at the Sooke Fall Fair
- Team Sooke/JdF Refugee Sponsorship group seeks household items, wishlist
- Update on local refugee sponsorship
- Sooke group wanting to sponsor a refugee family asks for help
- Bus passes for refugees
- Program matching Syrian relief donations extended to Feb 29
- UPDATE on the Sooke/JdF effort to sponsor a refugee
- BC Government contributes to incoming refugees
- LETTER: Sooke sets out to help refugees through private sponsorship; here’s how you can help
- New provincial fund to help Syrian refugee settlement (Includes photos and latest Tweets from Sooke’s Rebecca Collard)