RCMSAR Station Sooke — Pan Pan
Nov. 10, 1118h, 2017
RCMSAR Station Sooke was tasked by JRCC Victoria to a 40′ vessel adrift with no propulsion close to Billings Spit. Concerned the vessel was going to go aground, the master of the vessel deployed anchor and called for assistance over cell phone.
Four RCMSAR crew members quickly assembled and departed home base and arrived on-scene moments later to render assistance.
With only five feet of water, crews carefully proceeded towards the vessel and threw a tow line to the master who secured the line to the bow of his boat.
RCMSAR crews slowly towed the vessel into deeper water and into the Sooke Basin to a safe anchorage.
Notice to all mariners
During this tasking, RCMSAR Sooke Station noticed the East Cardinal buoy, VB, located in Sooke Harbour, was not in the proper location, approx. 1000 feet South of where it should be.
A call to Coast Guard Radio with the new position and notice.
Please use caution entering and exiting Sooke Harbour.
- Marine rescue tends to overturned boat in the Sooke Basin
- Sooke’s water rescue team tends to grounded vessel Dec 3
- Late morning call-out on Friday for Sooke’s marine Search and Rescue
- Sooke marine rescue tasked to Port Renfrew to assist, Monday afternoon
- Sooke marine rescue called out to assist three in a boat stuck in thick Bull Kelp, East Sooke
- Sooke’s marine rescue recognized with an award
- Sooke marine rescue tends to early morning head injury
- Sooke responds to Mayday off Possession Point on Friday evening
- Marine rescue tend to head injury near Sheringham Lighthouse
- Vessels of opportunity work with Sooke’s marine search and rescue to assist adrift vessel
- Contemplating search and rescue on Sooke waters? (Video)
- Concerned citizen triggers Search and Rescue callout for paddle boarders
- SAR Station 37 called to escort Tribal Journey First Nations canoe into Sooke
- Mayday call sees six rescued from a sinking vessel
- Three lives saved in a Sooke Basin Mayday call
Since you’re here, we have a small favour to ask.
SPN needs community support. Our future depends on it.
- Readers: Please consider a small monthly donation.
- Business owners: Please consider an ad. We are 100% local, 99% paperless, and highly valued by the 98%. That’s priceless.
Thank you for your continued readership, 1.7 million article reads in a year says the community reads SPN. It would be a shame to fold due to lack of funding.