–by Maggie McLean
The last letter seemed to wake everyone up! While I disagree with some of the point the previous letter writer wrote, I do wholeheartedly agree with her on the issue of Proportional Representation (PR). This is a BAD idea, and I hope the general public wakes up early enough to see the problems and loopholes in this system of election.
PR opens the door to fringe groups with singular agendas, to extreme ideas and policies of use only to limited areas or groups of people, to governments unable to work towards the needs of the whole of Canada, I could go on. It is a selfish way to vote as voters turn to fringe candidates with slim agendas that serve only them or at most a small group.
I love this country and want what’s best for it. But it seems the pro PR group thinks only of regional areas, of satisfying views of the individual and not the needs of Canada.
Do your homework, research, find out all you can before you vote. Don’t be mislead by the ideas being put forward by only one side. Review what is happening in other countries where this type of election is not working with disastrous consequences like in Italy. They have endured new leaders almost every year, while they try to find a consensus. Please don’t tell me ‘we are not Italy’ where it doesn’t work, nor Ireland where the pro PR would have you believe it does work.
The idea that if we don’t like it we can re-vote in two years is a farce. There is no way our government can spend millions of dollars to change a system, only to have us change our minds and revert back. It takes years for governments to institute policies and laws, and years to judge how good or bad it is. A re-vote is a dream.
Vote First Past The Post on your referendum; vote to keep us a with a strong and stable government that cares for the needs of all!
- October 22 to November 2: Voting packages mailed out
- October 30: Estimated delivery date for Sooke
- November 5: Referendum Service Offices Open (online)
- November 23: Deadline to request a package (1-800-661-8683 or online)
- Friday, November 30, 4:30 pm: Elections BC must receive your ballot by this deadline
- Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) voting explained
- First Past the Post (FPTP) voting explained
- Rural Urban Proportional (RUP) voting explained
- Dual Member Proportional (DMP) voting explained
- BC votes to keep first past the post
- Referendum on electoral reform engages 41 per cent of all voters (39.6 in this riding)
- Letter: Pro Rep is about thoughtful process and equal representation, and deserves a chance
- Letter: First Past the Post is still the best way to vote
- Letter: PR is a bad idea that opens the door to fringe groups
- Letter: Proportional Representation will not fix what’s broken; the ballot is deceptive and manipulative
- Letter: Proportional Representation is not a foreign idea
- BC Provincial Referendum on Electoral Reform
- LETTER – Pro Rep: Canada lost marks for poor participation democratic decision making
- Video: Sooke’s MLA speaks to proportional representation
- LETTER: Pro-Rep ensures you are represented in government
- Referendum regulations and questions for electoral reform
- Attorney General unveils report and recommendations on electoral reform referendum
- Editorial: Proportional Representation Electoral Reform – Details and debate is missing
- Let Every Voter Count: A Sooke Information Night on Electoral Reform
- POLL: Would you support some form of electoral reform?
- Provincial referendum on electoral reform to happen in one year
- Is electoral reform on the BC horizon?
- Trudeau reveals that he misled voters on Democratic Reform