-by Alanda Carver, Teacher of Kundalini Yoga: A Practice for Spiritual Warriors
Craving calm? Try this
This week’s Life Hack is for coping with the need to feel calm.
There is a hand position and breathe pattern that will activate a response in your body that will help you to feel calm in three to five breaths.
- Place your left hand on your heart
- Put your right hand in front of your right shoulder with the palm facing forward.
- Touch the thumb and first finger of your right hand together
- Inhale through the nose and hold your breath in.
- Then exhale through the nose and hold your breath out.
- Breathe in this way for a few moments.
How does it work?
Having the left hand on your heart triggers a reflex at the level of the heart which calms the body. Having the right hand facing forward at the shoulder puts the active part of your mind in rest mode. Touching the thumb and first finger together brings you insight and awareness. The breath pattern triggers the body to adjust itself to a state of calm — usually within three to five breaths.
Kundalini Yoga: It’s more than just a stretch!
Your first class is free.
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Emotional Balance
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Boost progress with your diet goals
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Grabbing a little energy when you feel tired
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: For more energy and less stress, try this
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Train better, not longer
- Life Hack and Coping Skills: Tired and out of time? Here’s a nap hack
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Whistle to relax
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: The benefits of Dog Breath (seriously!)
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Go from stress to calm in three breaths
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Helping children calm down
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Speak in public with increased ease
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Coping with the chills
- Life Hacks and Coping Skills: Dealing with sleeplessness
-About this column, by Alanda Carver, Teacher
Kundalini Yoga: A Practice for Spiritual Warriors
Energy is the underpinning reality of everything
In this new weekly series you will learn how you can harness your own energy to serve you in a myriad of ways. Stop rowing upstream against your own energetic currents. Learn the easy rules and regulations of energy, and watch your life transform!
- Do you want to understand Energy?
- Do you want to have tools and skills to affect your Energy for increased healing, strength, joy and peace?
- Do you want to learn tools that are so simple you’ll wish you’d learned them years ago?
- Do you want to create a practice that will affect ALL of your energy systems, and set you up for the best possible YOU?
These Life Hacks can help you:
- Wake your energy up and get it moving in the right direction.
- Realize how other people’s energy can affect you, and how to protect yourself.
- Discover easy ways to calm and de-stress whenever you like
- Learn how to boost your immune system.
- Explore safe ways to detoxify.
- Really boost your metabolism.
- Increase your flexibility.
- Build your concentration.
- Make it easier for you and even your kids to come out on the top of the game.
Every week you will learn a simple practice that works for you.
This column is sponsored by Sooke Yoga, where your first class is free.