The EMCS Society wanted to celebrate the many ways local businesses support youth (25 years and younger) in our community. We had two goals:
- To improve relations between the business community and youth.
- To provide insight on youth friendly business in Sooke.
30 local business Owners, Managers, Supervisors and Employees answered our survey questions.
Below are our findings.
Youth as Customers
- Youth are regular customers 90% of the time.
- Employees make youth customers feel welcomed, trusted and respected 95% of the time.
- Management/staff feel comfortable and safe when groups of youth come in or participate in programs 93% of the time.
- Management attempts to make youth feel uncomfortable 30% of the time (ex. bags at door policy).
- Businesses provide youth-specific products and services 73% of the time.
- Businesses display youth events, activities, artwork or other items of interest to youth 58% of the time.
- 21% of businesses offer youth discounts on products/services.
Community Support for Youth
- Businesses support youth fundraisers/events in school or the community 85% of the time.
- Businesses support youth-focused active living 63% of the time.
- Businesses encourage (adult) employees to volunteer with youth organizations or youth activities 53% of the time.
- Businesses offer youth scholarships, bursaries or grants 43% of the time.
- 59% of businesses offer online products/services.
- 50% of businesses offer bike racks.
- 51% of all employees and volunteers are under the age of 25.
- 74% of jobs for youth pay minimum wage.
- 65% of employers do not provide health or other benefits to youth.
- 92% of employers offer work/volunteer opportunities to youth who require hours to graduate.
- 93% of employers do not require previous work experience from youth.
- 93% of employers offer part-time positions to youth.
Top 10 Youth Friendly Businesses in Sooke
- Vancouver Island Regional Library
- Western Foods
- RUSH Adventures
- Seaside Sweets
- The Stick in the Mud Coffee House
- Serious Coffee
- 642 Wear
- Coast Capital Savings
- SEAPARC Leisure Complex
“They don’t steal as much as people think.”
-Local Business Owner
“We couldn’t operate without youth.”
“Youth are trainable and eager to learn.”