The following message is from Sooke Mayor Maja Tait; to follow her directly, click her Facebook link below.
Hello Smokers: Please keep your butt (s) with you!
Our Fire & Rescue volunteers had a busy Sunday attending to four emergency calls. Two of the calls were for fires in brushes and hedges caused by cigarette butts that were carelessly tossed aside.
While we gratefully appreciate summer’s arrival, the hot temperatures lead to tinder dry conditions that are easily ignited by one smouldering butt!
Sooke is a beautiful place to visit and call home, please dispose of your butts safely to keep it this way.
Many thanks to Sooke Fire and Rescue for your service and dedication to our community’s well being.
- Brush fire on Sooke Rd attributed to a dick-flicked cigarette butt