The following was posted by the Sooke mayor, Maja Tait:
For 12 years, Sifu Moonfist, has been quietly picking up litter, sweeping roadsides, removing graffiti from every corner of Sooke as well as Hwy 14, all day long, in all kinds of weather, refusing cash or any form of recognition.
Seemingly content knowing that his efforts, noticed by many deter others from littering, smashing glass or vandalizing property.
He has reached out to young people, coaching them to a better path and productive life choices.
Yesterday at the Stick (Thursday, August 17), in the company of his friends, I formally caped our superhero ‘Broomfist’, the cape was lovingly stitched together by his wife.
As stated by Christopher Reeve, “Give more than you take.”
Thank you Moonfist for leading by example, and for making Sooke such an attractive and welcoming community for all of us.
The original Facebook post is as follows. Click to view the photos, and to follow the mayor directly.
Previous messages from the mayor
- Message from the Mayor: Affordable housing has been addressed for years (media is late to the party), and she wants to hear your ideas
- Message from the Mayor: Hollywood comes to Sooke
- Message from the Mayor: Sooke mayor inspired by local creative spirit
- Message from the Mayor: Moonfist is caped “Broomfist”
- Message from the Mayor: Fire safety is top of mind
- Message from the Mayor: See you at the Flats on Canada Day
- Message from the Mayor: Keep your butts with you