–Media release, The Shawnigan Residents Association
On February 23, 2017, our community received the news we have been waiting for. After four and one half years, Mary Polak, Minister of Environment, cancelled the Cobble Hill Holdings contaminated soil permit, effective immediately.
The complete news release is available for review here.
The SRA and legal counsel, will review all MoE documentation and communications and report to the community in a few days. Many thanks to everyone for their support and work. We have #SaveDShawniganWater!
- The government news release is available for review here.
- The minister’s letter of cancellation and reasons for decision can be found here.
- Green MLA seeks answers as an engineer report finds no conflict of interest re contaminated soil at Shawnigan
- Minister Polak cancels contaminated soil permit, Shawnigan Lake
- Dumping toxic soil near Shawnigan Lake temporarily halted
- Plain English report of April 6 court events; Second Shawnigan Lake court ruling expected on Friday, April 15
- Cowichan watershed-protection community celebrates victory
- ICYMI: W5 probes contaminated soil dump uphill from Shawnigan Lake in “Trouble in Paradise”
- NDP critical of increasing carbon emissions under Clark’s leadership
- SRA update on the contaminated soil dumping happening near Shawnigan and Sooke water reserves
- Stand with Shawnigan on January 6, 2015
- CHEK News covers the nine arrests at Shawnigan Lake, on Tues Dec 22
- Hacktivist group Anonymous turns attention to Shawnigan Lake
- Andrew Weaver, MLA, calls for immediate stop to toxic soil dumped near Shawnigan/Sooke water reservoirs
- BC Gov designates Vancouver Island the provincial toxic dumping ground; Shawnigan Lake, Sooke Lake water reserves at risk